This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual booting with windows

I installed windows first. Partitioned the drive manually and bootinstalled kubuntu. Dual boot is supposed to work after that, right? It did last time I tried this with Ubuntu. This time the computer doesn't load Grub but a broken windows boot loader and I am able too boot neitjer os.

Re: Dual booting with windows

What do you mean by 'bootinstalled'?
    As you did it is a very good practise to treat partitioning as a separate job.
    Did you check if Windows still booted fully after this partitioning but before the Kubuntu installation?
    Windows is a bit funny that way and might need to 'restore' the file system.
    Next you would boot a CD/USB drive with the new Kubuntu and follow the leads to install using manual partitioning to the previously made partitions, towards the end of the install Kubuntu should install grub2 including all OS'es present on the computer.

Comment

Re: Dual booting with windows

Theoretically Kubuntu should indeed install grub2 on /dev/sda, but I have experienced problems with it as well (and solved them in this thread).

What Teunis said would indeed be good advice. Use a live environment to partition your disk into separate parts (one for windows, one for kubuntu), and then install windows on its part. Check if booting into it works after the installation, but before installing kubuntu. If everything is fine then, continue to install Kubuntu on the other part. You might need to reinstall grub2 after the installation of kubuntu, to ensure that you can actually boot into it.

Comment

Working...
      X