This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install is ok, but Kubuntu won't start?

Install ok Kubuntu 11.10 goes fine, on my first reboot I get a black screen with text that just hangs forever. The 2 noticeable lines are

"Starting restore sound card(s') mixer state(s') [fail]"
    and
    "Starting automatic crash report generation [fail]"

I have to power down and restart. I get different text each time, but "Starting automatic crash report generation [fail]" is the most common error.

The live cd works fine, Ubuntu installs and runs ok, Linux Mint installs and runs ok. It's just Kubuntu.

Re: Install is ok, but Kubuntu won't start?

Try pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 at the blackscreen to switch to console then run the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.bak
    sudo service kdm restart
    ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuku
      Try pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 at the blackscreen to switch to console then run the following commands:
      Code:
      sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.bak
      sudo service kdm restart
      When I try that it says "mv: cannot stat '/etc/x11/xorg.conf' : No such file or directory

Comment

Let's take a look at the .xsession-errors file in your home directory. Since you're having trouble logging in, this could be rather difficult. Try this.

1. Reboot
        2. When you see KDM (the graphical logon screen), press [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F1] to get to a TTY console
        3. Log in
        4. Run cp .xsession-errors kubuntu.xsession-errors
        5. Reboot to another operating system -- since you mention Ubuntu and Mint, I'm assuming you have one of those installed on another partition?
        6. Paste the contents of that kubuntu.xsession-errors file into a reply here

Comment

Tried installation again and same result. Dowloaded the previous kubuntu release and after installation the same thing happened.
          I installed linux mint instead. It was a new hard drive and I needed an OS. I thought kubuntu looked good so it was my first choice, but I guess it doesn't like my PC.
          If I get bored over Christmas I'll try again.
          Thanks so much for your help guys. Really appreciated.

Comment

I have the exact problem here and hope to get it solved,.

This message is writen while working witk Kubuntu 11.10 Live CD.

Clean install on Acer Aspire x 1700

Install ok Kubuntu 11.10 goes fine, on my first reboot I get a black screen with text that just hangs forever. The 1 noticeable lines is:

Sometimes their are more lines.

I now have no other OS installed, but i will try Ubutu 9.10

Comment

Hi
              a couple of questions, the answers to which might help.

a) are the video card and audio card "onboard" or insertable cards?

i) if they are insertable then you can try what I mentioned, remove them and use the onboard to install the correct drivers.

b) what are the brands, (some onboard video can also be a problem).

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by 12lamat
                I have the exact problem here and hope to get it solved,.

This message is writen while working witk Kubuntu 11.10 Live CD.

Clean install on Acer Aspire x 1700

Install ok Kubuntu 11.10 goes fine, on my first reboot I get a black screen with text that just hangs forever. The 1 noticeable lines is:

Sometimes their are more lines.

I now have no other OS installed, but i will try Ubutu 9.10
                That looks a lot like the symptoms and solutions described here: http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/01/ubu...n-problem.html

Comment

Working...
                X