X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with keyboard and touchpad Sony Vaio-CS320J Kubuntu 11.10

Hello:

I am writing this post because I have a problem, really annoying bad problem with the keyboard and touchpad!

First, I had recently moved from Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) to Kubuntu 11.10. Almost everything is working on 11.10 as it was working 9.10, except for the Keyboard and Touchpad. >

I had tried before 10.04, 10.10, and 11.04, and the problem was the same, I reported, but no luck to find a solution.

The problem is this:

When I install Kubuntu (from version 9.10 to 11.10) the keyboard failed to works when the computer goes to and comes back from sleep or hibernate mode. It does not work at all! So I had to forced the computer to shutdown.

I tried different things, from the Internet communities of Ubuntu, and I found this solutions:

Change the line on document {/etc/default/grub} named {GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"} to {GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_sleep=nonvs"}; do {sudo update-grub} and reinstall computer.
    But this does not do anything at all. The problem keeps happening!

Also:

Change the line on document {/etc/default/grub} named {GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"} to {GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash atkbd.reset"}; do {sudo update-grub} and reinstall computer.
    This one fixed the problem with the keyboard in all versions , but in versions 10.04 and up (not in 9.10) gave me problem with the touchpad. The computer does not recognize the touchpad and I can not use it at all! >

Then I began to search for answer on how to fix this problem too, but not good luck on it. I only found the following:

echo "options psmouse proto=imps" |sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.conf; sudo modprobe -r psmouse; sudo modprobe psmouse
    That allowed to use the touchpad as a regular mouse, but I have to start konsole everytime that I started the computer, and then insert manually the code in order to be able to use the touchpad again (this is frustrating!). And with this, the system still does not recognize the touchpad.

I decided to change to the latest version of kubuntu, since people kept telling me it was a bad idea to stick with 9.10 because it does not has any support from kubuntu community anymore, and the kde environment of that version has to many bugs. Sincerely, 9.10 gave me less problem than newer versions! >

Can someone help me, fix this problems, before I decided to go back to 9.10, please?!!!

About the Hardware of the computer:
    • Processor: Inter Core 2 Duo Processor T6500 / 2.10 GHz
    • Graphics: Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
    • Display: 14.1" / 1280 x 800
    • Total Memory: 4 GB
    • Storage approx: 320 GB
    • Model: Sony Vaio VGN-CS320J

&quot;La libertad es tan solo una oportunidad para ti. No es el objetivo en sí misma. Simplemente te da toda la libertad de hacer lo que quieras hacer. Cuando eres libre y te sientes triste, es porque todavía no has usado esta oportunidad.&quot;<br /><br />De Osho, página 146, libro: Libertad.

Re: Problem with keyboard and touchpad Sony Vaio-CS320J Kubuntu 11.10

I use a Sony laptop. It utilizes the sony_laptop module:
    Code:
    jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$ lsmod | grep sony
    sony_laptop      34416 0 
    jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$ modinfo sony_laptop
    filename:    /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/sony-laptop.ko
    version:    0.6
    license:    GPL
    description:  Sony laptop extras driver (SPIC and SNC ACPI device)
    author:     Stelian Pop, Mattia Dongili
    srcversion:   2A19CF1639B5DCC2D7551A1
    alias:     acpi*:SNY6001:*
    alias:     acpi*:SNY5001:*
    depends:    
    vermagic:    2.6.35-25-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 
    parm:      debug:set this to 1 (and RTFM) if you want to help the development of this driver (int)
    parm:      no_spic:set this if you don't want to enable the SPIC device (int)
    parm:      compat:set this if you want to enable backward compatibility mode (int)
    parm:      mask:set this to the mask of event you want to enable (see doc) (ulong)
    parm:      camera:set this to 1 to enable Motion Eye camera controls (only use it if you have a C1VE or C1VN model) (int)
    parm:      minor:minor number of the misc device for the SPIC compatibility code, default is -1 (automatic) (int)
    jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$
    The lines beginning with "parm:" are parameters that can be set in /etc/modprob.d/options.conf:
    Code:
    option [module name] [parm name]=value
    The module works for me without any parm settings. And, I do not know if any sony modules are automatically loaded for you.

When I do "locate sony | less" I get the following modules listed:
    Code:
    /lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-sony.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/sony-laptop.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.32-34-generic/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-sony.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.32-34-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/sony-laptop.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.32-35-generic/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-sony.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.32-35-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/sony-laptop.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-sony.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/kernel/drivers/media/IR/ir-sony-decoder.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/sony-laptop.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/go7007/wis-sony-tuner.ko
    /lib/udev/keymaps/module-sony
    /lib/udev/keymaps/module-sony-old
    Strangely, while the *.ko file is listed as "sony-laptop" the module is loaded as "sony_laptop", which adds some confusion.

Also, you may want to try the various acpi settings at bootup, if you haven't already done so.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hello, GreyGeek:

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I did what you did and I got almost the same output as your. So I think the problem might not be related to the Sony Vaio configuration. I am going to explain myself now...

Yesterday, I downloaded OpenSuse 12.1 and installed it on my Sony Vaio (wishing that the new distro would do better than Kubuntu 11.10 on my computer). Everything installed and worked fine, no problem at all, until... I closed the lid of the computer to put it to sleep. When I opened the lid, guess what? The keyboard stoped working!!! As it happened with Kubuntu!!!

So, I installed Kubuntu 11.10 again, and I decided to not allow the system to put my computer on sleep mode again. Instead I programmed the system to just turn off the monitor whenever I close the lid of the computer, and to put it to hibernate whenever the battery gets to a really low stage of energy.

This does not fix the problem but keep it away from me for a while!

Note: the problem only seems to happen only on sleep mode (suspend to RAM) and not on hibernate mode (suspend to Disk). OpenSuse users reported the same thing.
      &quot;La libertad es tan solo una oportunidad para ti. No es el objetivo en sí misma. Simplemente te da toda la libertad de hacer lo que quieras hacer. Cuando eres libre y te sientes triste, es porque todavía no has usado esta oportunidad.&quot;<br /><br />De Osho, página 146, libro: Libertad.

Comment

Originally posted by alunacast38
        So, I installed Kubuntu 11.10 again, and I decided to not allow the system to put my computer on sleep mode again. Instead I programmed the system to just turn off the monitor whenever I close the lid of the computer, and to put it to hibernate whenever the battery gets to a really low stage of energy.
        Nevermind... I am changing to Opensuse 12.1, Kubuntu 11.10 has a lot of problem and it is getting on my nerves!

*I hope this post help people with the same problem, to fix it.

Comment

No problem, OpenSUSE is a fine system. Don't be a stranger!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X