Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post installation report: issues with network, akonadi and nepomuk - all solved

Oneiric post installation report: everything is fine (yup, including desktop effects) except for three things:

- No network. This turned out to be my fault. Something like 3 or 4 releases ago Kubuntu shipped with a network manager so broken that it was not possible even to specify a wired fixed IP configuration. I solved that by removing all traces of the kde-network manager and instead defining the raw network config in /etc/networking. Well, turns out that Oneiric comes with a new network manager that you cannot remove as a separate component, but in exchange of that it works for defining most common network settings. But I lost a bit of time until I remembered that my network was not configured via KDE. Once I removed the hand coded /etc/networking stuff I was able to define the network parameters using KDE just fine.

- Nepomuk: strange warning saying that Nepomuk is not enabled. Since I don't use any of it, just going to the KDE control center and disabling the service works. May not work for those that use or need Nepomuk. Seems that is some kind of indexing service for the KDE suite.

- Mail dispatcher agent notification. This one took more time to "fix", and apparently is related to the above. I tried the solutions given in this forum but none of them worked. Finally, following http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=86252 I edited the file in /usr/share/akonadi/agents/maildispatcheragent.desktop and removed the "Autostart" from the X-Akonadi-Capabilities line. No more error notifications so far, maybe I'm being lucky.

Note that the last two solutions above will likely disable the KDE PIM apps (KMail, Kontact, Kopete and I don't know what else) I don't use them, so it is not a big loss for me. What I cannot understand (sorry, bit of a rant) is how these problems can crop in a release candidate and not get fixed before release.

Now, if anyone knows how to clear the akonadi database cleanly, please explain. My ~/.local/share/akonadi is 158 MB in size and clearly I'm not going to use it. And I have a strange feeling that if I just delete the folder it will bite me in the following upgrade, like the networking stuff has done now. Alternatively, does anyone knows of a resource that explains what is this akonadi/nepomuk relationship with the rest of the KDE suite (KMail, Kontact...) in terms that don't require to understand how the whole KDE suite works?

Re: Post installation report: issues with network, akonadi and nepomuk - all solved

Thanks for posting this - I have exactly the same problems plus I also have a totally screwed Firefox!

I'll fix these issues using your 'guide' but then after this (and the last 'upgrade' issues) I may go elsewhere!

Not a rant but I don't have time to keep 'fixing' these things as much as I may 'love' Ubuntu and its children.

BFN
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Re: Post installation report: issues with network, akonadi and nepomuk - all solved

In which way your Firefox is screwed? Mine is working perfectly as far as I can tell. Note that nowadays I'm using Firefox and Chrome something like 20/80 percent each, so maybe mine is screwed in a way that I have not noticed yet.

Not a rant but I don't have time to keep 'fixing' these things as much as I may 'love' Ubuntu and its children
      I try to avoid posting rants in these forums, I did it once and the people here correctly pointed out that this is not the place for ranting. Having said that, after the last two upgrades, I'm seriously reconsidering my commitment to Ubuntu.

Comment

Ι have the akonadi problem too. Your solution fixed my issue but kmail doesnt working. Is there any solution for this problem? fatal error

the solution only doenst start the akonandi and the error is not showed. any absolute solution in order to work with kmail?

Comment

Originally posted by barbolani
          I try to avoid posting rants in these forums, I did it once and the people here correctly pointed out that this is not the place for ranting.
          Just so anyone else reading this doesn't get the wrong impression, KFN doesn't have any 'rule' concerning rants - they are frustrations put down in writing. What "the people here" tend to point out, is that a rant without any details concerning the posters hardware makes it practically impossible for anyone here to provide assistance. KFN is about helping users of Kubuntu. We can only do that if, when a user has a problem, they ask for assistance.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X