X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'shutdown' not there!

Hi,

I've just upgraded and have a similar problem to this: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3118701.0

Mine is slightly different in that the option to Shutdown does not appear in the menu . . I get 'log out' 'lock' 'switch user' 'sleep' and 'suspend' but noooo 'shutdown!

I've been using 'sudo shutdown now' but system hangs with the ubuntu logo. I seen this before and it normally sorts itself out with subsequent packages but so far not this time.

Another issue is with start-up - I have to log-in via the ubuntu screen before Kubuntu Desktop starts up even though I have password less log-in empowered. Any ideas on this one?

Note that I am using Ubuntu with kde-standard as my set-up. Unity-desktop has been removed!

Thanks.
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: 'shutdown' not there!

I have seen several posts like this, and I wonder if part of the problem is that ubuntu uses lightdm (or gdm) as its window manager, while kde really works best with kdm.

So you might try this:

Get out of kde with CTRL-ALT-F1

login, and at the prompt:

sudo service gdm stop
    sudo service lightdm stop
    sudo apt-get install kdm

now when kdm installs, it should pop up a screen asking which window manager to use by default. Select kdm. Then when it's done, reboot.

Note that you will have the same problem with the ubuntu desktop if you are using kdm -- no shutdown, etc, as the ubuntu desktop is not set up to work with kdm.

Edit: this should fix your password-less login problem as well, as kde expects to see kdm at login time.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Or if kdm is already installed run
      Code:
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
      and select kdm from the list

Comment

I did the sudo service etc but the system could not find either gdm or lightdm (is that good or bad?)

but then tried the 'reconfigure' which showed all three! Selected kdm and away it went after a 'startx'. Everything almost normal now!

Many thanks.
        Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
        GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
        Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Working...
        X