This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kwin constantly crashes

Heya all, I got a problem that, if solved, would make my day.

I recently upgraded, or tried to rather, to 11.10 Oneiric. I've been using various Linux distributions for years, but I'm still not super knowledgeable about what's running and what's crashing, but I'll do my best. I'm just a very casual user.

Basically, what happens is Kwin (Or is it Plasma?) crashes constantly when I attempt to do anything. To describe it, if I have something like Dolphin or Firefox open, the "window border" around firefox/dolphin disappears, along with the task bar. Then up pops a crash notice, which the details within make very little sense to me. After the crash notice comes up, the task bar comes back along with the window borders. After multiple crashes, it gives me an option to pick something besides Kwin, but that's all I have so it doesn't help.

This crash occurs when I maximize a window, minimize a window, try to type something into a program... I believe it even crashed when I simply held down the CTRL key. Obviously, it was nigh unusable, and so I'm back on 11.04 Natty. But there're updated packages I'd love to take advantage of that're part of Oneiric, which is why I'd still like to get it to work.

I don't know if it'll help, but since someone in another thread hinted the problem may be certain video card/driver combinations, my video card/driver is...

nVidia Geforce 9500 GT with driver 285.05.09 from nVidia's website (I like to keep up to date so I manually install them).

I'm really out of ideas since I can't even really experiment to find the solution in the state 11.10 operates. Any thoughts or insight would be appriciated and helpful.

Re: Kwin constantly crashes

I have the exact same problem!

My graphics card is a Radeon HD 4770 with the default driver installed through "Additional drivers"

It is a rather annoying problem, I have to log out and log back in to solve it. It happens about 5-10 times a day.

Comment

Re: Kwin constantly crashes

Well, seems we're the only ones. So goodbye Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
      X