X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to see and choose a wifi network?

Howdy all!
    Just checking out Kunbuntu 11.10.
    How do I connect to a wifi network? In Ubuntu, I just click on the network icon in the title bar (I'm using 11.10 with Cinnamon), select the network I want to connect to and I'm connected.
    When I log out and log back in using Kubuntu, I can't figure out how to select a wifi network to connect to.

Thanks, I know this is kind of a stupid question but for some reason its just not obvious to me.

edjski

Hi,

Pretty much in the same way, look for Network Management widget in the panel. Click it and all else will be easy.
    Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Look in the lower right corner. Do you see what looks like an Ethernet socket with a cable plugged in, as in the illustration below?

If so, then left-click it. Network Manager will appear, which I've already done in the illustration. From there you can select which wireless network to join.

Comment

thanks, i'll look for the icon. i thought i had been thorough but perhaps i missed it.
        if its not there, how would i add it? i know networkmanager is installed because it works when i log in using gnome (its the same instance of ubuntu with both desktops installed)

Comment

Originally posted by rms View Post
          Hi,

Pretty much in the same way, look for Network Management widget in the panel. Click it and all else will be easy.
          i'll look more closely next time, maybe i misinterpreted the icon...
          thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rms View Post
            Hi,

Alright, I went back and looked, the Network Management widget doesn't seem to exist; its not in the panel and its not available as an additional widget...
            Any thoughts?
            Thanks,

ed

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              Look in the lower right corner. Do you see what looks like an Ethernet socket with a cable plugged in, as in the illustration below?

If so, then left-click it. Network Manager will appear, which I've already done in the illustration. From there you can select which wireless network to join.
              Howdy Steve,
              The ethernet socket icon is not present. It doesn't appear as an additional widget either.
              Its confusing to me because when I log in using Gnome or LXDE, the equivalent widget/icon is present.
              I appreciate your assistance.

ed

Comment

What is the output of:
                Code:
                apt-cache policy plasma-widget-networkmanagement

Comment

I will check... standby.
                  (thanks for the response btw!)

Comment

Steve,
                    here is the output of: apt-cache policy plasma-widget-networkmanagement

edjski@edQX410:~$ apt-cache policy plasma-widget-networkmanagement
                    plasma-widget-networkmanagement:
                    Installed: 0.9~svngit.nm09.20110610.0c83d8-0ubuntu5
                    Candidate: 0.9~svngit.nm09.20110610.0c83d8-0ubuntu5
                    Version table:
                    0.9.0~rc4-0ubuntu1~oneiric1 0
                    100 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-backports/main i386 Packages
                    *** 0.9~svngit.nm09.20110610.0c83d8-0ubuntu5 0
                    500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main i386 Packages
                    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

*Yesterday I was able to surf the internet so I was connected to my router but I don't have a status indicator and am not seeing all available networks.

Comment

One way to make sure the Network Manager is available is to right click the desktop, unlock the widgets and then select add widget.
                      From the bar that appears you select the widget you want (Networkmanager) and drag it to where you want it.
                      Now lock the widgets and click the new icon for the network settings.

But in a correct install this widget should already be present

Comment

Working...
                      X