This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

setting access restrictions on router

I know this is more a network question than a kubuntu question, but at least I am trying to fix this using rekonq to reconqfigure my routerś settings. I hope you can help me
    I need to configure my router (Belkin Play max wireless router F7D4301 v1) with some access restrictions - however, it does not seem to work. Even if I test access restrictions with "block all urls" turned on for my user, nothing seems to happen in practice. My web browser can still access anything on the web!!
    I cannot find much in the documentation to reveal what is going wrong. however, I wonder if there is a problem with using access restrictions and upnp? Can upnp open up the doors I am trying to lock?

SOLUTION: it turned out that when logged into the router, access restrictions are not applied. Logged out of router (or, to be honest, I replaced it with my old router for a couple of hours...). On reconnecting the router it behaved as expected.

UPnP had nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by heinkel_111; Mar 19, 2012, 02:24 PM. Reason: problem solved

Originally posted by heinkel_111 View Post
    SOLUTION: it turned out that when logged into the router, access restrictions are not applied. Logged out of router (or, to be honest, I replaced it with my old router for a couple of hours...). On reconnecting the router it behaved as expected.
    It's possible that your router requires rebooting after making changes. Some do. The fact that you swapped in an old router "for a couple hours" implies that your new one was powered down, and then powered back up (same results as a reboot). Is that what you did?

Comment

Thanks, Steve, but I believe it was the log out of the router, not the shut down of the router, that did it for me. I tested this by logging out after doing some further changes afterwards and then my (new) changes were applied and the router behaving as expected.

Comment

Hm, interesting... I've not encountered a situation in which applying configuration changes required logging out of the admin interface. In my experience, routers either make the change immediately or require a restart. But I'm glad you found a method that works.

Comment

It confused me too, as I have not seen with the other routers I have had. However logically it makes kind of sense, you log in to the router to make quite deep configuration changes: it does not say I log in as root, but effectively that is what it makes me, and root of course has all the permissions to do what root wants to. To get normal user permissions, got to log out root. Makes perfect linux sense once you get your head to see it that way

Comment

Working...
          X