This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up Wireless connection on KDE

I have been using Kubuntu for a few years now and have never used WIFI. My house was wired for ethernet. Recently I built a computer for my grand-daughter and their house is already set-up for WIFI. The 2 computers at my daughters house are windows machines. When I set up the computer ( ubuntu 11.10- 64 bit) there is a connection icon on the bottom tray. When I click it there is a menu to manage wireless connections. When I click on it my daughters network shows up . I attempted to configure it using information on my daughters computer without success! If there is anyone who can please give me the "step by step" procedures to do to get it configured I would greatly appreciate it! In advance I apologize for my ignorance on this issue. I could not locate any information on the steps to take to get connected from this forum.

Since your computer detected the wireless network you have avoided the complicated (hardware) problems that are what most of the wireless threads here tend to be about!

What's left is the security settings for the network. This is made up of a security type and a password / pass-phrase.

That would be set in the home router and/or wireless access point. Maybe your daughter knows the settings (great) - or maybe it was configured by the network company (not so good). I think you can't discover the password from a windows computer that easily. What did you try to configure it as, i.e. what did you find out so far?

The likely choices are "Open" (in which case you just click to connect, but you should tell your daughter this is not a good idea!), "LEAP" (I think this is an older one), "WEP" (which seems secure but is not any more, and should be changed) or "WPA/WPA2 Personal" (which may be called WPA2/PSK or WPA2 (AES) or some other jumble of letters on the router side).

The steps should be this simple:
    click on the wireless network name to connect - a dialogue box should appear;
    pick the security type at the Security: drop-down;
    type the password / pass-phrase;
    click OK;
    connected!
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
    X