This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMAP Disconnects Frequently

I have a problem where my imap accounts lose their connection to the server and I lose the ability to check email on those accounts. Most of the time I can go into the Kmail settings and restart the various accounts (I currently have 3). Sometimes, however, the accounts get caught in the middle of a sync and I have to either logout/login or restart the computer. I am sure the problem is related to the fact that my internet connection is shaky at times (it goes out briefly and then comes back on, usually on its own). Is there any way to fix this or set the accounts so they periodically reset themselves? I am running Kubuntu 11.10 with KDE 4.8.

Who is your IMAP provider -- Gmail, perhaps?

Comment

Two accounts are gmail (one via google apps) and the other is Apple (a me.com address). The problem is identical on all three accounts and usually occurs simultaneously on all three. The specific error I get is: [account name]: Connection to the server lost.

Comment

Originally posted by gandalf View Post
        Two accounts are gmail (one via google apps) and the other is Apple (a me.com address). The problem is identical on all three accounts and usually occurs simultaneously on all three. The specific error I get is: [account name]: Connection to the server lost.
        Your post is EXTREMELY intriguing and MAY be "diagnostic". I humbly request that you really sit down and WATCH the next time that this occurs.

The "connection to server lost" is a well known "situation". Notice that I did not call it a "bug".

I have experienced it a lot and there are many other threads with the same complaint.

The "street wisdom" is, and I think also somewhat averred to by the developers, is that the problem is "with Google".

The problem with that street wisdom is the "usual" situation from which it is derived: i.e. that the poster has "a google account". That is precisely my situation.

However, YOUR situation offers what "may" be a "diagnostic" situation.

Quite simply stated, Google and Apple are.....ummmm apples and oranges! supposedly.... in other words, supposedly, the situation was caused by Google not "disclosing" something so that MySql cannot be configured to deal with it....but....

IF....notice the "if"....If we opine that Apple and Google are "different" then why is the same situation occurring with BOTH of them?

a) Is it because both Apple and Google have the "same thing" in how they do stuff? Rather hard to believe...but possible...
        or
        b) Is it because the problem is, indeed, with the MySql implementation behind Akonadi which is behind the conection in Kmail/etc.

So....again, I would humbly request that you CAREFULLY watch the next time that it occurs to see if it is "identitcal" for "both" and if it occurs "simultaneously.".

Now....even given that...if they DO occur simultaneously and if it is "identical"....

It "could be" that Google causes the problem and MySql then goes bye bye mode and drags the connection to Apple along with it.

But anyway, watching carefully and reporting may be of great help to people who actually code things.

woodsmoke
        Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 29, 2012, 07:55 PM.
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thanks for the reply woodsmoke, I will try and observe as carefully as possible the next time it occurs. The one thing I can say now is that the notices that pop up in the system tray all occur one right after the other. I will try and note the order they occur, i.e. which account goes first, second, and third.

Comment

The only IMAP I have is Gmail. I see the error on occasion. Usually, the next time KMail syncs, it works fine. On rare occasion I have to stop and restart Akonadi, which you can do with AkonadiTray -- click the triangle in your system tray to reveal the hidden icons.

Comment

I've watched the disconnect the last couple of days and can't determine a regular order to which account looses the connection first. I did notice that the accounts have been re-connecting on their own more often lately (perhaps an update I didn't notice did this?) I also saw there are some IMAP fixes in the upcoming release of KDE 4.8.1, so may this will help.

Comment

Hi
                I'm glad that things have somewhat settled out for you. The Kcalendar continues to be a swinging pendulum of working and not working.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                X