X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Broardband tab greyed out

Hi
    Installed Kubuntu 11-10 all good but no mobile broardband tab active in the network connection panel, I only have Mobile broardband connections for my pc's,
    but while I was trying to connect the scan on the wireless connection picked up my modem but could not activate it. I tried "nm-connection-editor"and was informed package was not installed.
    Which package do I need, and how do I go about it?
    Would appreciate and need a hand.
    Cheers
    fossil43

What is your mobile broadband device? Is it built in (some notebooks come with built-in mobile broadband) or a USB dongle or something?

From what I read (it worked perfectly for me, sorry!) is that Kubuntu should automatically enable this tab after it detects your mobile device, but:
    - you might need to plug it in before booting
    - you might have a problem with it showing up as a USB mass storage device or a CDROM - this is because many USB broadband have their (Windows) drivers on the device. The package usb-modeswitch handles such devices, but it may not recognise yours.

The output of lsusb would show how it appears.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Thanks SecretCode, I tried as you sugested and it worked when I ran it from the cd even though it still did not reconizethe mobile tab but was able to get on the internet by the wireless tab, it scanned and picked it up but will not work when I reinstalled the OS.
      It is a usb type dongle but does not have to be pluged into the PC, it uses mobile phone reception.I am trying to install a gnome network manager that what the terminal sugested.
      "Go the Wallaby's"

Comment

Do you have wireless (local, WiFi) as well as mobile broadband (wide area, 3G / GSM) available? Why would you use mobile broadband if you can use local wireless? WiFi or local-area wireless and mobile broadband or wide-area phone-network wireless have nothing to do with each other; they use different hardware; scanning for one kind of network will make no difference to the other.

What do you mean by "It is a usb type dongle but does not have to be pluged into the PC"? Of course it has to be plugged into the PC!

Going to need more details - make and model of your 3G dongle, details of your computer, any other computers or routers in the building, are you using a mobile phone, etc
        Last edited by SecretCode; Feb 26, 2012, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Yes you are correct I do have a wireless pci card installed , TP-link and it picks up the signal from the mini wifi modem i believe, any way I got around my problem by just connecting to wireless while running the cd before installationand then installed, so it was not mobile Broardband I should of been looking for. Anyway that of course is not the end of my problems,all installed and going fine download all the recommended updates and then installs them until 48% mark then jams up, this has happend three times now if I shut it down by turning off the power, the only way I know to restart it, it returns with a jammed up mouse and no application in the application choice window.
          I am installing a 64 bit version Kubuntu on to a 64bit processer machine, dont know if I should try 32bit version?

Comment

That issue of sticking at 48% seems to be a common one - see e.g. Ubuntu problems on update....:/

Should be no need to revert to 32 bit!

Comment

Working...
            X