This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless marked as "Unmanaged" in Network manager for no reason

I suspended to RAM and brought my laptop home. When I got home my wireless connection in Network Manager was marked as "unmanaged" and I could not connect to my Wireless AP.

This problem seems similar to the one here but that solution did not work. In fact it has left two weird connections in my Network manager (labelled ifupdown).

I also tried to rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state and reboot (first tried to stop and restart the network manager service) to no avail.

cat /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state

[main]
    NetworkingEnabled=true
    WirelessEnabled=true
    WWANEnabled=true
    WimaxEnabled=true

cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
    [main]
    plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
    managed=true

I have recently used the pppoeconf command from the terminal, but the wireless was working after it. All I did today was to "pon dsl-provider" to dial the modem.

Could anybody give me an idea what these config files should read and how to fix this problem?

Originally posted by andybeak View Post
    This problem seems similar to the one here but that solution did not work. In fact it has left two weird connections in my Network manager (labelled ifupdown).
    What problem and solution are you referring to?

My version of NetworkManager.state is identical
    NetworkManager.conf has an additional no-auto-default=... line and
    [ifupdown]
    managed=false

My lan, wifi, and broadband are managed fine.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
      What problem and solution are you referring to?

My version of NetworkManager.state is identical
      NetworkManager.conf has an additional no-auto-default=... line and
      [ifupdown]
      managed=false

My lan, wifi, and broadband are managed fine.
      Oh, I put that in the thread topic -- my Wireless is marked as "Unmanaged" in Network manager for no reason. It was working this afternoon at work until I suspended to RAM. When I opened my laptop at home my Wireless is marked as "Unavailable" in my network manager.

Comment

No, I'm still confused:

Originally posted by andybeak View Post
        This problem seems similar to the one here but that solution did not work.
        Where is "here"? What is "that solution"? Did you mean to include a link?

And more importantly - have you got it to work yet?

Comment

Hi,

Yes I'm sure I included the link - sorry the post doesn't make much sense without it. The link is here -- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9402242.

I haven't been able to sort it out. I've tried a number of combinations of deleting the file, stopping the service, unplugging eth0, keeping the wireless router off, and pretty much every superstitious thing I could think of to try isolate the problem. I've tried stopping the network manager service, reinstalling it, and even considered trying to swap to wicd (but I don't think I'm ready to go through that).

At the moment I am connecting my attaching my broadband router via eth0 and then dialing ppoeconf. When I go back to work however I won't have an ethernet cable so this could be awkward. Especially since I'm the only guy promoting Linux in a Windows environment.... having my wireless connection just die is not good for my cause

Comment

Does the laptop have a hardware switch to disable the wireless?

Comment

yeah it does, but it never worked in Kubuntu (did work in Windows).... but the light is still blue (on) and pressing the hardware key does nothing

Comment

Regarding the hardware switch ... what does the output of rfkill list all say about hard blocking?

Comment

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
                  Soft blocked: no
                  Hard blocked: no
                  1: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
                  2: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
                  5: hci0: Bluetooth

Comment

OK, it's not the hardware switch, the wireless is enabled.

Not sure what the problem is.

Is your wlan listed in /etc/network/interfaces? Network Manager will ignore any such interfaces.

You could try
                    Code:
                    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
                    You could try
                    Code:
                    sudo service network-manager stop
                    sudo mv /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state.backup
                    sudo mv /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.backup
                    sudo service network-manager start
                    If none of that works ... I've never had to resort to wicd but I hear good things about it.

Comment

Hi,

I see that the interfaces file looks like a bit of a mess. I read on another forum that pppoeconf can sometimes cause this.... here's the file:

auto lo
                      iface lo inet loopback

auto dsl-provider
                      iface dsl-provider inet ppp
                      pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
                      provider dsl-provider

auto wlan0
                      iface wlan0 inet manual

auto eth0
                      iface eth0 inet manual
                      I have tried fiddling with the Network Manager.... I also read on another forum that restarting the service wasn't enough (not sure why they said so) but that it worked when they rebooted entirely... I tried that with no joy either.

Okay, this is really weird.... the wireless is up now.... I checked it before doing ifconfig wlan0 up again. Oddly my modem dropped it's connection (on eth0) about half an hour ago so I did poff -a and pon dsl-provider to restart the connection. I didn't think to check the wireless at that time.

There are quite a few posts around this problem - most of them were from 10.04 though. I think I will experiment with wicd because everybody seems to say it's pretty good.

Thanks for the help :-)

Comment

Try deleting the wlan0 and eth0 blocks.

My /etc/network/interfaces is just this:
                        Code:
                        auto lo
                        iface lo inet loopback

Comment

Thanks, if it happens again I'll try this... at the moment it's still working (but I haven't suspended again)

Comment

Working...
                          X