Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Access Windows/Samba shares - what to install, how to configure?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access Windows/Samba shares - what to install, how to configure?

It's been a long time since I configured a Samba Client to access shares on other systems. Mostly I rely on the following technique:
    1. Install Samba Client
    2. Copy working smb.conf file from another system and edit system name.

This has worked well on Ubuntu 10.04 and Linux Mint 11. After following these steps I have been able to browse Windows/Samba shares and work with my files as desired.

Kubuntu 11.10 is driving me crazy in trying to accomplish this. The steps I usually follow will show me the name of my workgroup when I browse, but it always fails to show any of the systems on the network or their shares.

What does it take to get this working in Kubuntu 11.10?
    Last edited by 914freak; Feb 08, 2012, 12:14 AM.

Basic Samba Setup on Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot might be helpful.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks showhog - unfortunately, that article tells you how to set up a server. I don't want to set up a server. I just want to set up my Kubuntu installation so that it is a client that can access existing Samba/Windows shares on other systems. Installing all of Samba is more than what I need or want. I'm trying to figure out why my previously successful approach hasn't worked with Kubuntu.

Comment

i think that /etc/samba/smb.conf is only for server, i have never had to make this for a client.

have you tried using dolphin's path entry? it would be like this
        Code:
        smb:/<ip>
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

maybe?
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install kdenetwork-filesharing
          FKA: tanderson

Comment

you shoun't have to install anything to have working samba client.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I finally found the answer at http://ubuntuswitch.wordpress.com/20...does-not-work/

I needed to edit smb.conf, unremark the "name resolve order" line and set it to
              name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast host
              then restart my PC.

So the bottom line is that this wasn't at all about Samba under Kubuntu, but just about Samba. All is good!

Comment

Working...
              X