X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 11.10 and the static ip address problem

Hi folks there...
    Really i do not know what is the reason of omitting the lines within the resolv.conf file. Since i configed out my work machine as a static ip address computer, i edited the following lines in the resolv.conf as the next:

domain my.domain
    search my.domain
    nameserver 1.2.3.4

Everytime i start up my computer the the above mentioned lines are being automatically omitted. Thus the system can not solve the URLs. So if you use kubuntu on a dynamic configued machine it becomes perfect. Just try to give it a static ip address, weird things would happen, NO name resolution would be the result. It seems it is a bug in knetworkmanager. Thanks a lot.

Fahd

Re: kubuntu 11.10 and the static ip address problem

At one time, I had a howto on the forum on removing Knetworkmanager and and setting up your connection manually. I have not reposted that but I intend to do that today. I will let you know when it is up again. I have to do some editing to make sure it is up to date as I originally wrote it as pertaining to Hardy.

Comment

Have you tried this?
      http://www.kubuntuguide.info/index.p...tic_IP_address

Comment

In 11.10 I was surprised to see that my wired connection actually was configurable in knetwork manager. I set a static IP, entered a couple of DNS servers, and applied changes and clicked OK. It did require a reboot as I couldn't seem to get the network to restart using service network restart (even with sudo). I got an unknown state error.
        However, after the reboot, my static IP was still there and everything works.

Comment

Like the OP, I was unable to get it to work in 11.04. I could not get it to work by using network-manager or by removing network-manager and setting up my interfaces and resolv.conf file manually. I could get it to connect, by for some reason I could not get it to recognize my DNS servers. This is going to require more research so the howto will have to wait. I did get it set up by removing network-manager and installing Wicd.

Comment

Hi guys ...

I solved this issue by removing the network-manager and install wicd instead. Thanks anyway.

Fahd

Comment

I think wicd should be made the default network manager.

Comment

Working...
              X