Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to automount usb devices by kernel node name (i.e. sdb1, etc)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to automount usb devices by kernel node name (i.e. sdb1, etc)

Here's the simple question: my external usb SATA hard drive automounts as /media/<incomprehensible number>.
    I want it to mount as /media/sdb1 (i.e. using the kernel device node name), like it always used to.

Second question: in Dolphin, in the locations panel, the usb disk appears as "49.5 GiB Hard Drive". I want it to appear
    as "sdb1" corresponding to the mount point name. (All my partitions are 50GB, so I'm greeted by dozens of identical locations
    called "49 Gib Hard Drive" when I open Dolphin. )

Details: I'm on KDE 4.7, and evidently using udisks/udev for mounting/automounting. I can't label the disk(s), because
    I don't actually have authority over the disk(s) that might be attached.

Someone suggested uncommenting the line
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true
    in /etc/default/grub (followed by update=grub and reboot), but this has no effect on anything, as far as I can tell. Someone
    else said the line should read:
    GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID="true"
    but that doesn't cause any noticable change, either. The syntax here is not a guess, what's the correct value? If this item
    gets rid of the ugly numbers in the grub boot menus, I consider that a 'good thing', but this doesn't seem related to the
    automount issue. It appears to me that the automount stuff is buried in the arcane syntax of *.rules files under /lib/udev/rules.d
    and /etc/udev/rules.d. I shouldn't have to go there - it should be a KDE/Gnome option (or alternatively, an option to the start
    command for the daemon in one of the start up scripts) to use simple mneumonic names for disks. Maybe there is one? If not,
    why not? Anyone familiar with Knoppix? Names are simple there.
    Stuart

At least for newer KDE versions, if you simply label the partition (using the KDE Partiton manager, for example, the drive will show with this the sidebar entry.

or edit the fstab to mount the device to a particular place.

I posted a link somewhere here in the past month on this for I believe internal drives, it may have useful data that might apply to detachable drives (tho I do believe that to the OS, there is no difference)

Comment

Working...
    X