X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of digital video camera

Hello,

I am about to purchase my very first digital video camera. I have never bought this kind of hardware before, and as a kubuntu user, I'd like to enquire what the linux community would recommend. I want a low-to-mid range camera (up to $500, more only if specific features are worth the price difference).

What specs should I pay attention to?
    Storage?
    Generally speaking, how is the linux support for digital video camera?
    What about kdenlive support?

Thanks,

Augustin.

I would make absolutely sure that the memory card is very GENERIC. Some cameras use a very proprietary card which makes it very EXPENSIVE to have a second as a spare on a trip or to replace if lost. If you can't have the store person walk over and find you a spare from a counter display that you recognize easily, then skip it, period.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 26, 2012, 02:31 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
      I would make absolutely sure that the memory card is very GENERIC. Some cameras use a very proprietary card which makes it very EXPENSIVE to have a second as a spare on a trip or to replace if lost. If you can't have the store person walk over and find you a spare from a counter display that you recognize easily, then skip it, period.

woodsmoke
      I agree, even if you cannot get linux to recognise the camera then you can always plug in the memory card and download them that way. I tend to do this with my camera as I don't need to bother hunting for the cable. Most cameras these days should take an SD card, if not then be wary.

One other thing you might want to look for is the format it writes to... just make sure that it is one linux can handle easily and you should be fine as you can always copy the files from the card directly.

Comment

There are posts on the net about MOD and converting to MPEG in Linux.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thank you. I'll make sure to check the kind of memory card used. I also need to investigate more what kind of format each camera writes to. Thank you both for your answers.

Comment

Working...
          X