This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature shtdown

I (think) I'm having problems with my computer over heating when I have it under heavy load. Specifically, when I have an external monitor running (and lots of apps) and when I have the CPU doing a lot of work.

Basically, what happens is the computer decides to turn off.

I'm thinking it may be a temperature issue. Is there a way I can determine what temp my computer shuts down at and have a logger that tracks it? Then if it does shut down, I can look at the log, see if it reached that temp?

I've looked around but I haven't had much luck.

I have a vostro 3400. Thank you!
    Last edited by tweev; Mar 23, 2012, 11:27 AM. Reason: I spelled shutdown wrong in the title, but can't fix it. Whoops.

If you have i3-350M processor inside then max temp is 90°C for rPGA according to this specification. That's probably when it shuts down for that processor.
    Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

The Vestro 3400 was generating controversy about heating problems two years ago.

Those that over heated and shut down did so when the temp reached 100C (212F). As noted the max temp for the i3-350M is 90C, but the i3 allows sharing of the L3 CPU cache with the graphics GPU, and the maximum junction temperature of the graphics core is 85°C.

Assuming that you are running Kubuntu, you can keep track of your CPU temperatures and percentage usage using Plasma Widgets available for that purpose. Specifically, you should put the "CPU Monitor" widget and the "Hardware Temperature" widget on your desktop.

Also, see if your fan blades have accumulated any dust, OR, if the fins through which the fan draws air to cool the CPU is clogged with dust. You might have to take the back off of your laptop to gain access to the CPU cooling fins in order to blow them clean. Another problem associated with over heating is the conductive heat paste which is applied as a thin film between the case of the CPU and the bottom of the cooling fins may have dried out and cracked, or even partially fallen out. Have you noticed hearing something rattling around in your laptop?

If your fan blades and fins are clean and nothing is rattling around then what I'd do is get a laptop cooling fan. A lot of times the "feet" on the bottom of some laptops/notebooks are not far enough off the table to allow adequate air circulation for the fan. People often put these devices in their laps and their clothing cuts off the air or greatly restricts it. Continued overheating of these devices can bake the plasticizers out of some of the chips and other components, especially the capacitors, and cause the to fail earlier than they are designed to.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks guys!
        I just added the widget (that was easy! I've never really gotten into them) and the temp is bouncing between 75 - 96oC. I'll try running a heavy process and see what happens. Thanks!

Comment

mmm... IMO it should be bouncing between 60-75C, or even lower.

What does System Monitor show as taking the most CPU cycles?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Hey GG,
            I solved the issue with a beer coaster. It proped up the computer and now my computer is running fine at 55.5C. I loaded up the processors (all four at 100% for about an hour) and the temp rose to about 65C. No shutdown and everything worked. Thanks!!!

Comment

That's the first time I've heard a mention of beer in connection with laptop cooling!
              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

if its with in your ability i would clean the internals of that machine and perhaps replace the thermal paste (or even worse pad) with some better paste (i use artic silver 5) . i tend to notice lots of heat issues with laptops in general after they get some dust inside them.
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by tweev View Post
                  Hey GG,
                  I solved the issue with a beer coaster. It proped up the computer and now my computer is running fine at 55.5C. I loaded up the processors (all four at 100% for about an hour) and the temp rose to about 65C. No shutdown and everything worked. Thanks!!!
                  Ah, a minimalist!!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    Ah, a minimalist!!
                    I have switched the beer coaster with the top of a baby bottle. That also works

Comment

Originally posted by tweev View Post
                      I have switched the beer coaster with the top of a baby bottle. That also works
                      Ah, a VERSATILE minimalist!

Comment

That's the first time I've heard a mention of babies in connection with laptop cooling!
                        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

But if you're using the top of your baby bottle as a prop to assist computer cooling, how will you feed the beer to your baby?

Comment

Rof,lllll

Comment

Working...
                            X