This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External hard drive read-only

I installed Kubuntu 11.10, but after that my Buffalo extarnal hard drive is read-only. What should I do to change it back to "normal"? I didn't find working method elsewhere... Thank you!
    Last edited by XCanisx; Mar 19, 2012, 12:57 PM.

Need more information. What is the external HD formatted as? Do you have it connected 'all the time'?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I checked it and it was FAT32. And it has been connected all the time after the installation. Not during...

Comment

Easy enough fix then.

With the external drive connected (obviously ), access it via Dolphin and then open a console (alt+F4). You will be in the 'root' directory of the mounted HD. Type:
        Code:
        sudo chown -R user:user *
        where user is your login user account name. Here, it's paul, so:
        Code:
        sudo chown -R paul:paul *
        This will change the user and group ownership on all directories/files on the external HD to your user. Exit the console and in Dolphin, click on your Home folder. Then right-click on the mounted external HD and select Unmount. Then remove the external HD. Wait a second or two and plug it back in. Access it via Dolphin and you *should* now have full read/write access to it.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's working now. Thank you a lot!

Comment

Working...
          X