This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extremely confused with audio issues.

When I first installed KDE audio worked absolutely fantastic. Logitech headset worked fine, surround sound was great.

Then I installed Audacity, and apparently pulseaudio along with it. Needless to say it screwed EVERYTHING up.

After pulseaudio installed all the Audio Playback Devices that used to be listed in Phonon Device Preferences changed to "Pulseaudio sound server" and I was unable to get audio playback through speakers or headset. So I uninstalled pulseaudio and rebooted.

Before this there were 3 tabs in Phonon Sound and Video Configuration:
    -Device Preferences
    -A middle tab (don't remember the name) that let me choose my default sound card and speaker setup
    -Backend

As you may have guessed that middle tab is now gone. Along with this issue there are now probably 15 audio device entries in the Audio Playback Device Preference lists, most of which are duplicates (and most of which don't even play sound when tested).

My logitech headset will playback tests and system sounds, but will not playback video sound, music, youtube etc. Sound works from my speakers now, but randomly switches between L+R to full 5.1

I honestly don't know what happened and I'm extremely confused and frustrated with this right now. I really hope someone has some kind of solution. The link below is a picture of the Phonon System Settings.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-j.../snapshot1.png

Install pavucontrol and then launch it. Likely its controls will help you to 're-enable' your sound.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Pavucontrol did not work as pulseaudio was not installed. I reinstalled pulseaudio and pavucontrol contained no settings in it whatsoever. Sound also stopped working completely again.

Back to square one. I still don't understand why installing audacity ruined my audio.

I had for all intents and purposes a default install of Kubuntu with sound working great. After Audacity everything has fallen apart. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Comment

After a reboot, sound is working again. Have to use pavucontrol to change input device. The sound configuration menu in system settings doesn't actually change anything. This is better than nothing I suppose.

Comment

sudo apt-get autoremove libasound2

Problems all fixed. Sorry for the ranting about.

Comment

Working...
          X