This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera doesn't show in Device Notifier

If a camera doesn't show in Device Notifier when plugged in via USB, it is probably because it is not USB Mass Storage, but rather using PTP.

To get pictures off of the camera, it used to be possible to use Digikam, but PTP on that is currently broken.

However, with the Kamera package installed, in Dolphin, simply goto camera:/ and that will allow you to browse the camera's contents. You can also add a shorcut to the Places panel in Dolphin for camera:/ and use the camera icon from System, Devices to make it easier to navigate to next time.

Somtimes digital cameras will allow you to switch from USB Mass Storage and PTP from their settings.

Picasa is also able to browse pictures on a PTP connected camera, but it was very, very slow to load with even just a few pictures on the SDXC.

There is some discussion on whether or not there might be issues getting RAW files, or GPS info off the camera when accessing pictures from Dolphin... YMMV.

(Older posts on this subject all seemed to point to using Digikam, but with PTP currently broken, I thought this might help someone. Probably better bugs to subscribe to... just posting a couple Google found.)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...am/+bug/865032
    http://lists.mandriva.com/bugs/2008-08/msg00768.php
    Last edited by kjjjjshab; Feb 18, 2012, 01:43 PM.

I had hoped this might solve my camera access problem, but -
    * I cannot see how to access <code>camera:/</code> in Digikam
    * Accessing <code>camera:/</code> in Dolphin shows me a "camera:/USB PTP Class Camera@usb:002,004/store_00010001" dir, but I cannot see into it, even though it contains many images.

I have had camera access problems for weeks now. Tonight I had to resort to Windows to get my photos off the camera.

Is there another way to get this to work, until whoever fixes the problem?

[My camera is a Nikon Coolpix S8100.]
    Last edited by tomcloyd; Apr 02, 2012, 09:16 PM. Reason: corrected camera info...

Comment

Sorry, I have been using Windows lately as well... I haven't had time to resolve this, but perhaps installing an older version of digikam (or a beta version) would help...

Comment

Working...
      X