This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd nVidia problem

I'm having an odd problem, hoping someone has run into this situation. My Dell laptop has buggy EDID info, and I got it working years ago by disabling the check and setting up all my video settings in Xorg manualy. If I don't, I only get 1920x1200 24-bit video, and posses a problems for games that don't support that native resolution and bit depth.

I added an expansion pack to one of my windows games, and that nearly ended wine install. I managed to recover it, but there is one problem left - a couple games play terribly slow on the internal screen. Terribly is an understatement - the games are pretty much unplayable.

However, as soon as I hook up my external Samsung flat panel, those games play fine (very zippy). Now my xorg file is only configured with one monitor as it's fairly infrequent that I use the external screen. I'm guessing that one of my nvidia settigns is hosed, but I'm nto sure what one. Here's my current xorg configuration:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    HorizSync 28.8 - 75.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 60.0
    # Option "UseEDID" "false"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1920x1200" "1900x1080" "1650x1050" "1600x1200" "1440x900" "1280x1024" "1280x850" "1250x800" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1920x1200" "1900x1080" "1650x1050" "1600x1200" "1440x900" "1280x1024" "1280x850" "1250x800" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName "GeForce 9600M GS"
    Option "UseEdidFreqs" "False"
    Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck,NoVirtualSizeCheck,NoM axPClkCheck,NoHorizSyncCheck,NoVertRefreshCheck,No WidthAlignmentCheck"
    Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling=aspect-scaled"
    Option "CoolBits" "1"
    Option "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x3333; PowerMizerDefault=0x3; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x3"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    Option "TwinView"
    Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
    Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "60"
    Option "RenderAccel" "1"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "DontZap" "False"
    EndSection

Re: Odd nVidia problem

Your xorg.conf file looks fine. The problem is, the GNU/Linux xserver architecture, and related hardware detection modules in the kernel, have been further developed to the point that very little of an xorg.conf file is actually needed or wanted now. I forget all the terms of art -- xserver-xorg 2.X was a significant departure from the prior version.

Bottom line, you may be overdoing it with the xorg.conf that worked so well in times gone by. I would suggest you try (after safely backing it up with a different name) starting your system in recovery mode with no xorg.conf file present, then log in, and use nvidia-xconfig to write a new xorg.conf file. If the failure to find the monitor EDID causes problems, try adding just the "Monitor" stanza to whatever xorg.conf gets written, and restart X to see if that works.

Here's my working /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, FYI:

Code:
    #
    Section "Device"
        Identifier   "Device 0"
        Driver     "nvidia"
    EndSection
    #
    See what I mean?

Comment

Re: Odd nVidia problem

That post is my entire entire xorg configuration (no configuration for the track pad, mouse, etc - all done by X automagicly). I know X most of the time will configure it's self properly on its own.

It won't configure out nicely on it's own in my case - hence my short configuration file, and it consisting of only the video system.

I did try the monitor settings alone initialy 3 years ago, no go. I had to broaden it: I initally added the screen section so I had multipule resolutions to choose from in keeping games happy. That didn't work either because the nvidia driver would ignore it. So I then then added the nvidia section to prevent the nvidia driver from using EDID data (it will still use it even if in the monitor section you tell it not to use it) and to keep it from performing various checks and eliminating resolutions and bit rates I specified in the screen section. With this done, I tried eliminating the monitor section, but that didn't fly because the nvidia card would chose refresh rates that the internal screen didn't like. The configuration was a visous circle, took me a long while to figure out what was needed to keep everything happy.

Everything after the no logo was added 8 months ago - that was when I got the external screen. That was done to make it everything work consistantly. Sometime's I'd boot and it randomly go into expanded desktop mode or into clone mode - never knew what I was going to get untill it booted. And that also fixed one other problem - when the Samsung monitor was hooked up, any game I have that wasn't 1920x1200 resolution (bit depth made no differance) wouldn't load - almost the same problem I had with the internal screen with out a configuration (the video would still go into other bit depth modes).

I am going to try to remove a couple sections - not sure why I have the module section for GLX, a DRI section, or the Extensions section... I likely threw them in just for "completeness" (since I pretty much had to manually configure my system).

But I do know why I have the server flags section. I like being able to simply CTRL-ALT-Backspace and restart X on the fly. I use that as opposed to full reboots for all updates (with some exceptions like kernel, kernel modules, and nvidia driver updates).

Comment

Working...
      X