Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mouse moves, but won't respond to clicks.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse moves, but won't respond to clicks.

Ok, I realized I posted this in the wrong sub-forum a week ago.

So, I just installed 11.10 x64, and I'm having a problem with my mouse.

Right after I log in from a re-boot or sleep, my computer doesn't respond to my most of my mouse clicks.
    It will correctly respond to whatever the first thing I click is. For instance, I can right-click on the desktop and interact with the menu that pops up. However, once I do that, I can't interact with anything else.

However, if I log out, when I log back in the mouse works just fine.

I've tried this with two mice (both wireless). I've just re-installed everything from scratch, and all of my hardware (minus my hard drives) is brand new. I looked at the syslog (recommended by another thread) and I'm not seeing anything that looks out of the ordinary.

The mouse eventually works ... it just doesn't work right away

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Re: Mouse moves, but won't respond to clicks.

Do you have a wired USB mouse you could try?

Comment

Fortunately I do, and unfortunately, the wired mouse has the exact same problem

Comment

Next suggestion is a long shot. I have an external keyboard-with-trackpoint connected to my Lenovo laptop. When the computer boots, USB autosuspend is enabled, and the trackpoint (but not the keys) routinely goes to sleep. I have to disable autosuspend for this particular device.

Install a utility called Powertop:

sudo apt-get install powertop

Then run it:

sudo powertop

Right-arrow over to "Tunables" and find the USB device line that corresponds to your mouse. Does it show "good," meaning autosuspend is enabled, or "bad," meaning autosuspend is disabled? If it shows "good," try changing it to "bad."

Comment

Nope, the autosuspend for my mouse was already set to 'bad'

Comment

Perhaps this suggestion would help. I've noticed a general smattering of reports about mice not working after reboots and resumes. I've not seen a single universal solution.

Comment

Working...
            X