X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot adjust Brightness

Hey,
    I tried a few possible work arounds mostly using different parameters in the grub menu. Nothing works so far.

Using a HP DV6 Pavilon 6101eg

Looking for help : )

Re: Cannot adjust Brightness

Add noapic to /etc/default/grub on the line that reads:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

so it reads:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash noapic"

Then, in a console, type:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Reboot and see if your fn+F keys now work. I had to do this previously on my HP Pavilion g7-1070us (don't require it now), and I had to use this option in the Ubuntu 11.10 install I did last night to get my fn+F keys to work.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Are you using the nVidia proprietary driver? If so, you'll need to add a line to your xorg.conf file. Here's mine:

Code:
      Section "Device"
        Identifier   "Device0"
        Driver     "nvidia"
        VendorName   "NVIDIA Corporation"
        Option     "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
        Option     "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "1"
        Option     "Coolbits" "1"
      EndSection
      The important line is the one with EnableBrightnessControl.

Comment

in order to fix a problem with the setup of the screen brightness I try to create a xorg.conf

This is done by the command X -configure right?

Trying to run this command as root, I will get:

Fatal server error: Server is already active for display 0 If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again.

Trying to run this command in recovery modus, I will get the same. After remove the mentioned file I get the error: cannot create file /tmp/.X0-lock Just to make sure: Yep I have the rights as I am logged in as root.

Thanks for help

PS> @Snowhog The keys are working perfectly. But the change of brightness inside the power option does not have any effect

Comment

i adjust display settings of non-nVidia cards with DDCControl:

http://www.techytalk.info/debian-ubu...trol-non-root/
          community is what will save us

Comment

I had a similar problem with the brightness controls after upgrade to 11.04 (need to check, it might be back now under 11.10)
            Didn't manage to solve it but a workaround is to wire a command-line shortcut to the keys. Doesn't stand for a perfect solution, but that's quick to implement (the command line instruction is a fast check). At the bottom of this thread : http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3117644.0
            Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

Working...
            X