This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MY REAR SOUND JACK WORKS!

OMG. This hasn't EVER worked in ubuntu or kubuntu.
    I have a Dell ZinoHD and the rear analog sound jack has never worked in ubuntu or kubuntu (but works fine in win7). So I've always had the sound plugged into the front jack (which meant I couldn't use headphones), but I got used to it.

Just because I was testing a bunch of stuff, I figured I'd try switching that plug to the rear jack and 'LO AND BEHOLD it worked! Not sure what was fixed, but in 11.10 I have a COMPLETELY working sound hardware configuration.

Amazing..... only took a couple years to fix it. hehehehe

Re: MY REAR SOUND JACK WORKS!

congratulations!

How about expanding a little, about your equipment, etc.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Dell ZinoHD. Doesn't look like they have them any more. It's an ultra small form factor (footprint is about 7 inches square and about 3 inches tall).

Processor is AMD Neo e6850 (dual core), 8GB memory, 750GB hard drive, ATI 512MB HD4300 graphics with HDMI out.
      Sound system shows 2 onboard sound systems: HDA ATI SB Analog and HDA ATI HDMI. There is a front sound jack and a rear sound jack. The mic input is also on the back of the machine. The rear jack has never worked in ubuntu/kubuntu. The analog sound uses a Conexant driver of some kind. I think it shows up as Azalia. I tried all kinds of things to try to get the rear jack to work and never got it working. I could select the HDMI sound and, because my display is connected via HDMI, I'd get sound out of the monitor speakers (27 inch AOC), but they sound kind of crappy.

I know in the grand scheme of things this is a very small item. But it has been bugging me since I got this machine that the rear sound jack didn't work in my daily OS (been using ubuntu since I think August of 2005, got the Dell about 2 years ago. Before that I built my own all the time). I boot to windows about 2 or 3 times a month. I have to read some data from medical equipment for which there is no linux software.

Oh... and the graphics card in the Dell ZinoHD is in an MXM slot. Kinda like a laptop graphics card slot. *buntu has never had an issue with that. I'm REALLY REALLY happy right now over this stupid sound jack working. My wife was asking me why I was smiling.

Comment

Hi
        thanks for the nice writeup.

As to sound hardware I always opt for old or older in sound cards particularly the soundblaster and "ensonique" cards.

Since I am way older 'n dirt, I was pleasantly surprised to find a half decade or so ago, that just about any distro that was "worth it's salt" would drive the "back speaker", given that one was using one of these cards. however..... there seems to have been a caveat...or not!

The following article discusses that because of the design limitations/possibly flawed decisions the back speaker produced a "thin and quiet" sound which I interpreted as "tinny".

There was also the "trick" of just redirecting the front speaker signal to the back speaker and it is hard to tell, from the gefelterfarb of the various manufacturers as to just what is happening and what is not.

However, I just dropped the back speaker a long time ago and use those whompin big Bostons or Altec Lansings that just envelope me starting at the floor and working it's way up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_Live!

I assume that your system does, indeed, produce a real back speaker signal sooooo...

I would beg to aver with your comment that "in the grand scheme of things this is a small item."...no... don't think so! Please keep us informed of the continuing tweakage of the system because I am quite sure that the local denizens of the forums would love to hear about your experiences.

Again, great write up!

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

for clarity.... no this isn't a rear speaker jack. It's a rear speaker jack.
          Not a jack for a rear speaker. It's the analog sound output jack on the rear of the computer! Just a plain old stereo analog sound jack. The one on the front worked, but the one on the back didn't. Now it does!

I have a fairly "normal" set of speakers plugged in with a subwoofer.

And age? My kids think I have the original recipe for dirt in my wallet.

Comment

I'm sorry...this is so juvenile...but...

Teeheeheeheehee!

Comment

Working...
            X