This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Nvidia Driver is Default

By default if you allow your setup to install proprietary drivers it will install the old 173 driver which is slow and crappy compared to the "Version Current" 280.13 release which is recommended in the Additional Drivers tool.

werd

Re: Old Nvidia Driver is Default

Did you do an upgrade or a new install? My Natty laptop had 285.05 from the xorg-edgers PPA. When I do-release-upgraded, it commented out that PPA. When my machine booted, it threw some errors because the left-over xorg.conf referred to a driver that no longer existed. I re-added the PPA and everything returned to normal.

What's especially odd is that the Ubuntu package site shows 280.13 as the current driver. I wonder how you ended up with 173?

Comment

No i did a clean install but checkmarked the option for kubuntu to install thirdparty stuffs... no custom ppa's

Comment

Originally posted by wrender
        No i did a clean install but checkmarked the option for kubuntu to install thirdparty stuffs... no custom ppa's
        i did that last night to a friends machine (GEforece FX5500) and got the 96 driver, turns out that both the 96 driver and the 173 driver do work for this card. the big differance is that w/ the 96 driver the res is stuck @ 640x480.

i for one say add another option to "Install Properitary Drivers" to taht installer.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
        X