This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPGRADE from 11.04 to 11.10

My apologies if this should have gone to "Soapbox".

I just finished the "UPGRADE" from 11.04 to 11.10 about 2.5 hours ago. The upgrade was a total non-event; no drama, no errors, nothing out of the unexpected. On this old system of mine, either due to 11.10 itself or maybe due to the system cleanup, my desktop "feels" much snappier. Dolphin was taking 45 seconds to a minute to open and display /home under 11.04 but it opens /home in under 15 seconds now. Muon was a surprise since I have always used Synaptics. The two appear very similar. Who knows, I'll wait and see for a few days, but maybe I can get rid of Synaptics now. Happy trails!
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Re: UPGRADE from 11.04 to 11.10

Same here, though I have one thing that slightly worries me and that's that I have unmet dependencies. A aptitude upgrade will remove 350 + packages, some very vital KDE resources.

Muon is just brilliant, tbh I consider it to be one of the best apps implemented lately, due to the key factor a package manager have (especially for new linux users)

Jonas
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

My Netbook upgrade was a non-event, then I decided to update my desktop.....

On boot I get:

"Waiting for network configuration..." etc.

Eventually when I get to login wired networking isn't working (which probably explains the "cannot open consolekit session" warning message).

Then I get a KDE daemon crash.

Then there's the message from desktop search that it is "suspending the indexing of files to preserve resources".

Krunner doesn't work and neither does the device notifier i.e. if I plug in a USB device my system refuses to even acknowledge it.

At this point I stopped checking to see if everything else is working, the signs are that the migration hasn't gone very well!!!

It's a nuisance but I'm opting for a clean install - hope my backups are good.

Seems there is something wrong with the migration script:
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/linaro-ubuntu/+bug/856810

Oh well, next time I'll give it a week or so before I take the leap.
      Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

A aptitude upgrade will remove 350 + packages
        Don't do this. I'm not sure, but aptitude may no longer be maintained. In any event, it threatened the same on my system, so I removed aptitude...

What I would do is the
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

but hit the n key when it asks if you want to do this. Check the errors, post them if necessary.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Several days, maybe a week ago there was an upgrade from/ replacement of a lot of 32bit libraries to 64bit versions.
          Is it maybe some of these that are ready for removal?

Comment

Could be, but I had the same problem a while back. apt-get autoremove showed nothing to be removed, but aptitude wanted to take out all of kde. Somehow the resolution algorithm in aptitude isn't working like it should.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
              Several days, maybe a week ago there was an upgrade from/ replacement of a lot of 32bit libraries to 64bit versions.
              Is it maybe some of these that are ready for removal?
              Yes, that could be it ... i upgraded from 11.04 ( know it's better to reinstall but I was lazy )

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
              A aptitude upgrade will remove 350 + packages
              Don't do this. I'm not sure, but aptitude may no longer be maintained. In any event, it threatened the same on my system, so I removed aptitude...

What I would do is the
              sudo apt-get update

but hit the n key when it asks if you want to do this. Check the errors, post them if necessary.
              yup

Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              Calculating upgrade... Done
              The following packages have been kept back:
              python-mlt3
              The following packages will be upgraded:
              cups cups-bsd cups-client cups-common cups-ppdc libcups2 libcups2:i386 libcupscgi1 libcupsdriver1 libcupsimage2
              libcupsimage2:i386 libcupsmime1 libcupsppdc1 libdvdread4
              14 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
              Need to get 3,614 kB of archives.

problem is that Muon complain even when I close CLI and wait some, Muon give the following error;
              Another application seems to be using the package system at this time. You must close all other package managers before you will be able to install or remove any packages.
              Think I have some not so well sorted repositories :S
              ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
              Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
              Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
              Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
              - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
              >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Yeah, I'd say aptitude is broke.

Comment

Interesting... I've read other people who rave over Aptitude's claimed superior dependency resolving skills. And it still appears to be in development; latest release was 15 May 2011.

Comment

Working...
                  X