This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] libreoffice spellcheck not working

I've typed some obviously wrong words and they don't get the squiggly red underline and when you run spellcheck from the menu it doesn't catch anything.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: libreoffice spellcheck not working

In LibreOffice, click on Tools>Options>Language Settings>Writing Aids. Check the appropriate buttons.

Comment

Everything appropriate is checked. For dictionaries, standard, technical, and soffice are all checked. For options everything except hyphenate without inquiry is checked. It still isn't working. Even words like "teh" or "asdflasdjflkasdjflkasdjflkasdjwiuwer" are not being spotted.

Comment

I don't know if this is your problem, but maybe it is. It took me quite some time before I found a solution, so maybe it helps someone.
        I write documents with a lot of lay-out. Sometimes for a reason unknown to me spellcheck gets disabled for a word, or for a few words, or for a paragraph, of for a few paragraphs, or.... This always happens in the more complicated lay-out-parts. Probably there's a reason, but I haven't been able to find it.

I solve it by selecting the word/paragraph/... and click in the statusbar on the bottom of the screen on the language (about in the middle of the statusbar). In the pop-up menu you can choose the language you want and spellcheck works again on the selection.

Before the final version of the document I usually select the whole document and choose the right language on the above manner to be sure spellcheck works for the whole document.

Comment

What does it show under Available Language Modules?

Comment

Updating a resume yesterday and this bug hits me

It seems that the language of my document was switched to German (I'm English (US))... and changing back wouldn't work. I opened the documents into Microsoft Word and they also showed as German, but I was able to change it there and then spellcheck worked fine. I'm really not sure what is happening though and why this bug surfaced within the last few days (was there an updated package?)...

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe
            I solve it by selecting the word/paragraph/... and click in the statusbar on the bottom of the screen on the language (about in the middle of the statusbar). In the pop-up menu you can choose the language you want and spellcheck works again on the selection.
            Hey, just tried that and it worked for my documents! Thanks for the workaround! The Tools -> Language or Tools -> Options... Language Settings weren't doing anything for me, but that works!

Thanks again, that's the first time I had seen the status bar mentioned...

It's interesting that the status bar shows "None" but Microsoft Word was showing the text as German, and my language settings are all English... really not sure what the heck is going on...

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
              What does it show under Available Language Modules?
              There's nothing under available language modules.

Comment

There's your problem. Open a terminal and issue the command
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install hunspell-en-us openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us libhyphen0

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                  There's your problem. Open a terminal and issue the command
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get install hunspell-en-us openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us libhyphen0
                  Thanks! This worked.

Comment

Working...
                  X