This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] kmail and akonadi problems

Every time I start up the system, I get an error message popup That says "Mail Dispatcher Agent", and something about "could not access the outbox folder". The akonadi configuration screen says all is well, but if I restart the akonadi server, the Mail Dispatcher Agent message reappears after a few minutes, so I suspect this is really an akonadi problem.

I then tried starting kontact. It wanted to migrate my mail settings from kmail to kmail2. I clicked "migrate", and it crashed instantly. Then a message came up saying "Kmail encountered a fatal error" and "failed to fetch the resource collection". then kontact goes away.

Well this is a mess. I don't use kontact or kmail, but I would like to get rid of the error message that show up every time I start kde. I do (or did) have a few contacts in kontact just to play around with it. It wouldn't bother me to wipe everything out of kontact/kmail if it would fix the problem.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: kmail and akonadi problems

I had the same problem, so I removed Kmail as I use Thunderbird. I also use Kontact and I had to check the boxes for the Default and Personal calendar to get my information stored on 11.04 Contact. Hope you are able to get rid of the annoying message and also get Kontact working.

Comment

OK, this is pretty much down to an akonadi problem and I am wondering if it may be related to the fact that I have kwallet disabled -- I don't need its irritating popups, either. I cleared out all the config files and reinstalled kmail and akonadi. The akonadi problem can be resolved by logging into the yahoo mail server on startup, but kmail still terminates on startup. So I guess for the moment I will just disable the whole konact/kmail/akonadi mess until a fix comes along.

I would like to get this fixed -- it's going to bug me until I do.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I am working on writing up some things concerning kmail>>kmail2 migration, and general issues, like you are seeing.

Have you tried out kmail2 in natty before running oneiric?

Luckily, this is not a kwallet issue I don't think.

First, close kmail and open the Akonadi Configration tool (type 'akonadi' in kicker's search to bring it up), and go to the server config area and stop akonadi. It takes a little bit of time to finish the process sometimes.

Then, first move/delete your ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail2 folder - this is where some new data will be migrated to
        DO NOT delete ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail - this is where your original data is.

Then backup ~/.config/akonadi
        and ~/.local/share/akonadi
        and ~/.kde/share/config/kmailmigratorrc
        and ~/.kde/share/config/kmail2rc

And try running kmail again.
        I have seen similar errors when I tried migrating from natty to oneiric, but still had some kmail2 specific akonadi configs left over from testing it in 11.04

If you are still having migration issues, you can manually run the migrator manually:
        Code:
        kmail-migrator --interactive

Comment

To anwer your question, no, I did not run kmail2 from inside natty before dist-upgrading.

I followed your instructions.

When I start kmail, several windows pop up:

One that says: Provide personal data, which is for my yahoo mail account.
          The kmail main window.
          A "Did you know ...?" window.
          An Error-KMail window, that says, "Kmail encountered a fatal error and will terminate The error was: Failed to fetch the resource collection."

Clicking OK on the error window closes everything EXCEPT the "provide personal data" window.

There are no apps connected with kmail or kontact running in the task bar.

Tried running kmail-migrator --interactive; I had to delete ~/.kde/share/config/kmail-migratorrc for it to run. What happened then is interesting: the kmail-migrator window said everything worked OK, but several notifications popped up from the taskbar, saying: "KMail folders: unusuable configuration", and one that says, "KMail folders: configured storage location is empty"

That's a little goofy, either it worked or it didn't.

Then I tired running kmail, and got the migration window.
          I chose "Migrate Now", an error box came up telling me to run kmail-migrator --interactive.
          I did, it says migration of kmailrc has already run.

But now I can run kmail, and it doesn't crash. It does appear to have imported my contacts, but not my account information. I can always do that manually.

Now kontact is messed up. It comes up with a start window, when I try to use Settings> configure kontact, it crashes. Will try removing its config files.

Sorry for the messy blow-by-blow. I suspect I'm going to have to restart, so I want to get the messages posted before I have to drop the browser.

Edit: update - I deleted all of kontact's .kde/share/config files, and also the .kde/share/apps/kontact directory. Restarted, now it appears to be working.

Only thing left to do is a complete restart, and see if the errors are gone.

Edit further: restarted, looks like the "mail dispatcher" errors are gone.
          So the only thing I really lost is my mail account setup, all the contacts seems to be there.
          I will have to play with this further to determine if it is really working, but for now, initial problem solved.

kyara time.

Comment

Re: [solved] kmail and akonadi problems

This is why I am leaning towards recommending to NOT migrate, and back up the email, start fresh, and import the backed up data. It is actually fairly quick to do this now, anyway.

Comment

Agreed. The "migration" process, at least as part of a natty -> oneiric upgrade, is not working.

Comment

I have just upgraded from 11.04-->11.10 and I face the same problem. Is there any way to fix and get rid of the annoying message and to have the kmail starting without terminating with fatal error?

Thanks

Comment

For now, my fix is to not use kmail - how many years of work and kmail2 /akonadi is still a buggy over engineered mess? I want to like it but I feel the devs have just bitten off more than they can chew.

Thunderbird is good, but I've switched entirely to using the GMail web interface. Makes it much easier to access my mail.contacts from other machines as well.

Comment

Originally posted by khaos
                    I have just upgraded from 11.04-->11.10 and I face the same problem. Is there any way to fix and get rid of the annoying message and to have the kmail starting without terminating with fatal error?

Thanks
                    Hello. I've upgraded too and when Kubuntu starts those messages are displayed. I don't even use Kmail and I just want to get rid of them. What should I do?

Comment

What should I do?
                      Please see reply #3 and #4 in this thread. Worked for me.

Comment

I have made all the steps in #3 & #4 but the error is still here. Also KMail starts and shutdowns with fatal error

Comment

I am not going back to kontact / kmail until they finally fix google sync. This works fine with thunderbird

Just my 2 cts
                          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I have made all the steps in #3 & #4 but the error is still here. Also KMail starts and shutdowns with fatal error
                            I'm not sure what the problem is now. If you really don't want to use kmail, you could try a simple solution:

cd /usr/bin
                            sudo mv kmail kmailNOT

See if that fixes it. That's how I test things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                              What should I do?
                              Please see reply #3 and #4 in this thread. Worked for me.
                              All right, it worked for me too. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X