This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apt-get hangs -- apparent problem with debsums

Every time I do an apt-get dist-upgrade, the upgrade process hangs at the very end, after the "processing menu changes" message appears. If I wait long enough, I get errors like this:

debsums: invalid package name 'binutils'
    debsums: invalid package name 'gcj-4.5-jre'

I have tried doing reinstalls of the packages mentioned in the error messages, but this does not help. The relevant packages are there, and appear to be installed correctly. Anyone else noticing this, and any ideas what to do about it?
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: apt-get hangs -- apparent problem with debsums

Not solved, but worked around. The problems with this were interfering with updating, so I removed the debsums package.

Removing the debsums package stops the error messages, but of course also eliminates the security features it provides.

I'm no really sure what is going on with this. Trying to rebuild the debusms data with
    sudo debsums_init
    returns errors on the same packages. Ditto running sudo debsums --generate=all. I unserstand why it can't build md5sums for the packages I have downloaded and manually installed, but binutils? I have tried reinstalling it, and it still pulls errors.

Can't find anything through google on this problem, either.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
    X