This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing

Downloaded and installed from the Kubuntu 11.10 Daily Build dated July 5th. The installation went without a hitch, my other OS was recognized without incident. I have been using it as my primary system for 3 days now, and have only hit one major glitch. If I click on a text file, Kate crashes and will not open the file. To work around this I installed gedit and when I right-click a text file and select "open with gedit" it works fine. Hoping to find some more bugs, but nothing yet.
    Kubuntu 20.04
    HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Re: Amazing

be ready, new KDE 4.7 rc is on its way, and with kde's revamping how it packages the source tarballs, there likely will be some package breakages as well as missing/not-yet-built things coming down the road

Comment

Originally posted by tdockery97
      Hoping to find some more bugs, but nothing yet.
      OK, I can help with that.

Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      When it is done, try opening dolphin. As of mid-day today (Eastern Daylight Time) it was pretty much a mess. Normal for this stage of Alpha+, I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Originally posted by tdockery97
        Hoping to find some more bugs, but nothing yet.
        OK, I can help with that.

Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        When it is done, try opening dolphin. As of mid-day today (Eastern Daylight Time) it was pretty much a mess. Normal for this stage of Alpha+, I'd say.
        Yes...don't do that. KDE 4.7 packages are still building, and currently the repos have mixed 4.7 and 4.6.3 packages...and different versions don't usually mix very well.

Comment

After yesterday's update my guest Oneiric doesn't have a keyboard (already in bugzilla).
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
            Yes...don't do that. KDE 4.7 packages are still building, and currently the repos have mixed 4.7 and 4.6.3 packages...and different versions don't usually mix very well.
            Best to use something like aptitude's safe-upgrade option I think. No point in deliberately breaking something that is working so well and might continue to work well once properly upgraded. I made the mistake of forcing an upgrade of a couple of packages when 4.6.3 was released into Oneiric, I won't be doing that again. >

I currently have 101 packages held back. And it'll stay that way until aptitude allows some or all of them to be upgraded. The 4.6.5 upgrade of my Natty installation ran to 253 packages. So the figure of 101 packages currently held back may rise quite a bit higher before a mass upgrading of packages occurs.

Comment

I tried doing the dist upgrade yesterday (14 july) and there were so many problems I had to reload from backup. Then took it step by step -- first updated the apt system, then -upgrade, then dist-upgrade, rebooting between each step. I still had a lot of install -f / --configure -a stuff to do, but it finally all went through.

Except for one problem. Somehow nouveau has sneaked (snuk?) back in, and blacklisting it in /etc/modprobe.d doesn't make it go away. Had to manually delete nouveau.ko from the appropriate /lib/modules directory, rebuild initramfs, and reinstall nvidia-current (on the 3.0.0-5 kernel). I haven't diagnosed what the problem is yet, but that's how I got things working.
              We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
              X