X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

standby doesn't work always...

Hi!
    I've configured my laptop in order to enter stand-by mode when I close the monitor. Unfortunately sometimes it freezes: just a black but retro-illuminated screen and no way to resume it except that by force-shutting.
    An addictional drawback is that if I don't notice that, I find my battery discharged after a while (indeed it seems that the discharge is faster than when it's simply on...)

Any check I can do to understand the cause of such freezing?

EDIT: I use 11.04, indeed: please, admin, could you move the topic in the right subforum? Sorry [Done. No need to be sorry. Welcome to KFN.]
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 19, 2012, 10:45 AM.

I had similar problems on - i think - Ubuntu 10.10 and possibly another version. My workaround was to disable the network from the tray icon before going to standby - a bit tedious but it worked. Wireless devices are some of the most common causes of problems with power management.

Try this - also try disabling bluetooth before sleeping.

You might find something in /var/log/pm-suspend.log, but I didn't - everything proceeded as normal according to the log - the freeze was obviously after the software had done what it thought it had to.

For permanent fixes ...
    - you might try adding acpi=off to the boot options in GRUB
    - or adding pcie_aspm=off
    - You might try adding empty (0 byte) files 'pcie_aspm' and 'wireless' in /etc/pm/power.d/ - I think the best fix is something like this where you give the system more instructions on what has to be powered off & how for standby events. But I don't understand all the places where you can control this.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
      - You might try adding empty (0 byte) files 'pcie_aspm' and 'wireless' in /etc/pm/power.d/ - I think the best fix is something like this where you give the system more instructions on what has to be powered off & how for standby events. But I don't understand all the places where you can control this.
      Thank you! I will try this one first (the quickest solution ) and let you know any news.

Comment

Working...
      X