Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn off window maximize at top of screen?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn off window maximize at top of screen?

One of the new 'features' of KDE4 is that windows will maximize if you drag them to the top of the screen. How does one turn this 'feature' off? It annoys me to no end....

I've looked through the control panel, and found just about everything but.

Thanks.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Re: Turn off window maximize at top of screen?

This "feature" annoys the hell out of me, too. Here's the setting to change it--but be forewarned that it has no effect for me:

System Settings | Workspace Behavior | Screen Edges | Window Management, uncheck "Maximize windows by dragging them to the top of the screen," and apply your changes. If it works for you, great! I wish it would for me.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

System Settings > Workspace Behavior > Screen Edges and uncheck Maximize windows by dragging them to the top of the screen
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

hehe. Beat me to it! I was composing the same response at the time you must have been hitting the Save button to post your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
          I wish it would for me.
          It doesn't? It does for me -- I just unchecked the option and opened a console and dragged it to the top of the screen and it did not maximize.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            I wish it would for me.
            It doesn't? It does for me -- I just unchecked the option and opened a console and dragged it to the top of the screen and it did not maximize.
            No, it doesn't work for me. If a window gets too close to the top edge of the screen, it maximizes just...like...THAT. And it absolutely annoys the hell out of me because I DON'T like this stupid "feature," AND have it shut off!
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

System Settings | Workspace Behavior | Screen Edges | Window Management
              Thanks, all! Yes, that worked!

Man, I searched all over that settings page. I would not have thought to look there....

Thanks again, everyone!

Frank.

Comment

You're welcome, Frank. Now I just wish I could get it to work for ME!

Comment

You're welcome, Frank. Now I just wish I could get it to work for ME!
                  You could try editing ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc:
                  ElectricBorderMaximize=false

one-liner to edit, you might need to run the command while kwin is not running (log out and run from a virtual terminal, for example):
                  Code:
                  kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Windows --key ElectricBorderMaximize false

Comment

Thanks, kubicle, but my kwinrc already has ElectricBorderMaximize=false set.

Comment

Thanks, kubicle, but my kwinrc already has ElectricBorderMaximize=false set.
                      Baffling...

Just for kicks, if you have kubuntu-default-settings package installed, what's the value in /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kwinrc? (Your user kwinrc should override that, though...and the value might not even be there, I don't have it installed so I can't quickly check EDIT2: checked, the value is not set there, so disregard the previous).

EDIT: have you tried creating a new user to check whether the same issue is present with a "fresh" user environment?

Comment

Yes, I have a /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kwinrc, but its contents are very brief and do not include anything related to this issue.

have you tried creating a new user to check whether the same issue is present with a "fresh" user environment?
                        Yes...and yes. Please note that I'm referring specifically to the laptop I use 99.9999% of the time; my other five computers I only access via the network, rarely ever sitting in front of them, or even using remote desktop connections. So this may or may not be an issue on the other computers, but I'm way too [bleeping] lazy to actually check them right now.

Comment

Man, am I ever glad that mine worked so easily. Looks like you have tried everthing uder the sun to make the silly thing quit. Maybe a fresh install of 12.04?

Frank.

Comment

DYK@

What version of KDE are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616
                              Man, am I ever glad that mine worked so easily.
                              I'm glad it did! It's great when something works right off the bat as it's supposed to.

Looks like you have tried everthing uder the sun to make the silly thing quit. Maybe a fresh install of 12.04?
                              I wasn't planning on upgrading any time soon--I only recently went to 11.04 [on this laptop only, I believe]--as I'm notoriously slow about upgrading. When I'm happy with a version, I tend to stick with it because I don't have as much patience as I used to. If it ain't broken, don't fix it! (My poor mother is still using 9.04--she doesn't know or care about the difference, so it saves me the effort of upgrading her. )

Comment

Working...
                              X