Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

once in a while 11.04 fails to shutdown.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

once in a while 11.04 fails to shutdown.

After a lengthy wait I pull the plug. This may be a mistake!
    In every case the KDE environments for both accounts are damaged. backgrounds are gone, popup file manager
    reappears. DeskTop icons gone, small stuff but a problem.
    It is very bad that I usually lose some files (using XFS); of course always the ones I use the most.
    This last time it nailed all of the important files in a Netbeansproject. These files are now empty.
    Three days since my last backup. Most annoying!
    Any ideas? other than backing up more often
    dkr

Re: once in a while 11.04 fails to shutdown.

Has this happened all along [since installing 11.04] or is it a new problem?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Hi
      I had many problems at the beginning. I hardly remember when this first showed up.
      I do know that it has happened several times (5 perhaps) and that has been several
      months since the first time.

Thank you for your time.

dkr

Comment

It could be a number of issues. What are the system specs including the version of kde you are running?

It's a little oversimplistic, but most times that Linux appears to have frozen it's X that has tripped up and everything else is still chugging away. In that case hold down the alt and sysrq keys whilst slowly typing reisub. That will make the system do a soft reboot and should avoid the issues you face by pulling the plug.

Comment

Working...
        X