This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programs no longer launch after 2 days uptime

Hi, I've noticed a weird occurrence after I upgraded to 4.7.0 after it came out and I was hoping 4.7.1 would fix it but it hasn't.

Basically, after a certain amount of time, programs no longer launch. I'll click on something from the Kmenu or try to launch from KRunner and nothing happens. And I can't look for error messages because the terminal won't launch either. This appears to happen after about 2 days of uptime. This problem does not require a full reboot to fix, only a logout/in.

Where should I start? What is the process that launches programs? Maybe I can look for that process crashing in the logs.

Thanks.
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Re: Programs no longer launch after 2 days uptime

try: ctrl + esc to start system activity app. Find kpackagekitsmarticon (name might be truncated). Right click and kill it.
    FKA: tanderson

Comment

also check your dmesg to see if you have any messages about i/o errors on your root partition. perhaps its a disk or controller failing.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

tanderson, have you seen this happen before and that's why you're suggesting that fix?

sithlord, that's a good idea that I hadn't thought of, especially since I'm pushing older disks.

I'll let you both know if that works. Unfortunately, I have to wait until I get the symptom
        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200

Comment

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1781489.html
          FKA: tanderson

Comment

tanderson, perfect thank you. I had a heck of a time searching for this problem on all forums. Sounds like I should do what I've always had slated to do: uninstall kpackagekit.

Comment

Working...
            X