This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with thunderbird attachments .doc-file association

When I have a mail with a docx-document, thunderbird automatically opens LibreOffice when I click the attachment, when I have however a doc-document I get a an error when clicking on the attachment, like this:
    /tmp/OPDOC24082005-1.doc could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences.

So I'd like to add the .doc file extension and have LibreOffice open it too but I can't find out how to do it in Thunderbirds preferences-->Attachments
    I'm missing an add Content Type-possibility. Maybe someone here knows which file I should change manually and how to add a rule for .doc-documents?

regards,
    hugo

Re: problem with thunderbird attachments .doc-file association

What happens if you right click on the document and select "open". Do you then get a drop down box enabling you to select "other"? If so you can then navigate to the executable (will either be in /opt or /usr/lib)

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
      What happens if you right click on the document and select "open". Do you then get a drop down box enabling you to select "other"? If so you can then navigate to the executable (will either be in /opt or /usr/lib)
      When I right click on the attachment and select open, I don't get a drop down box, I get the message:
      mydocument.doc could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences.
      If I go however to the preferences menu in Thunderbird I can't add extra file types like .doc to be opened by soffice

Comment

That's strange. When I open a file that is an attachment to TB, I get the pop-up window that lets me choose the application, and a block to check that tells it to always use this application for files of this type. So what is happening in your TB is that preference for this type file already exists, but the application it wants does not exist. So if you look in the Edit>Preferences>Attachments tab you should find the preference currently set for this type file. You can change it there, by clicking on the Preference and use the drop down menu to select a different program.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
          That's strange. When I open a file that is an attachment to TB, I get the pop-up window that lets me choose the application, and a block to check that tells it to always use this application for files of this type. So what is happening in your TB is that preference for this type file already exists, but the application it wants does not exist. So if you look in the Edit>Preferences>Attachments tab you should find the preference currently set for this type file. You can change it there, by clicking on the Preference and use the drop down menu to select a different program.
          You are right, in the list "doc" seemed to be attached to soffice but it didn't work, it was probably pointing to a wrong soffice, I was able to associate it with /usr/bin/soffice and now it works well.
          Thanks

hugo

Comment

Excellent! Can I ask that you edit the title of your first post to include "solved" as it may help others?

Comment

Working...
            X