This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knotify4, I love thee not!!

My Natty system has been slowing to a crawl. When I looked at System Monitor, I found that knotify4 was consuming an astounding 2.5GB of memory. I didn't invite that memory hog in; it arrived unbidden. I temporarily solved the problem by ending the process, but that's hardly a good solution.

How can I prevent knotify4 from gobbling up my memory?

Re: knotify4, I love thee not!!

Well, here on my 11.0464-bit, knotify4 is behaving itself.
    Code:
     PID USER   PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM  TIME+ COMMAND      
     1630 paul   20  0 682m 27m 18m R  2 0.7  0:51.06 knotify4
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

iirc, knotify4 issues stem from something else that causes it to run on and on. makes it hard to track down.
      googling on it shows it is a wide ranging issue

I have had this problem myself, but I do not know what caused it, or what fixed it for that matter. Probably my guess is upgrading to 4.7, but I really don't know. I am already running 11.10 everywhere i used to get the problem ...

Though on an Arch wiki there is something to try
      https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php..._uses_CPU_time
      phonon-backend-vlc is the package to try

Comment

vlc versus gstreamer?

Because the problem is intermittent and occurs only very occasionally, there's no good way to know if a particular remedy is effective except to wait a long time.

I've changed the phonon backend to VLC, but I don't know the pros and cons of VLC versus Gstreamer. Is it a theological question like Buddhism versus Islam? Or Kubuntu versus OpenSuSE?

By the way, the manifestation of the problem in my system is not CPU usage; it's memory usage.

Comment

yes. knotify will suck all the ram, not cpu

as to clv vs gstreamer, no there isn't any theoligical/political/sociological/logical difference iirc.
          Amarok folks recommend the vlc backend
          http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Download:Kubuntu
          And Kubuntu's own apachelogger says this:
          http://apachelog.wordpress.com/2011/...-legacy-media/
          As in audio cd support for amarok using it

Comment

Try to disable notification helper service and see if that helps.
            sigpic

Comment

Would 17MB be considered too much? That is what knotify4 is @ for me most of the time. I noticed Snowhog's mem usage seems rather small if I'm reading that correctly.

Comment

Yes, you are (reading it correctly). Here is what it shows as of one minute ago:
                Code:
                 PID USER   PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM  TIME+ COMMAND      
                 1620 paul   20  0 682m 26m 18m S  2 0.7  0:11.41 knotify4
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Noticed yours was % so I calculated the % for my usage. At about the same as yours so I guess that is normal.

Comment

Hi,
                    The solution in my case was to disable system audio notifications. After doing that, I haven't had any more problems with knotify4 using up resources (in my case it was high CPU%). I believe it can help with high memory usage too. You will be loosing system sounds by doing this though.

Go to System Settings > Application and System Notifications > Manage Notifications > Player Settings > then change the option to no audio output.

Alternately, as another poster suggested, you might be able to switch to VLC as a phonon backend, or use VLC as an external player for audio notifications. I haven't tried experimenting with that yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X