This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu netbook version cascading windows

I am used to 10.04 kubuntu on my stationary computer, and that's fine. I have now installed 11.04 on my new Netbook. The GUI does not defy logic, I'm sure, but I have yet to figure the underlying principles, for example where applications that I launch go as I can cycle through all pages without seeing them, while clicking the "running applications" will make the application in question spring into existence. Strange.
    The worst thing (for a seasoned Mac user) is that windows stick to things and insist on filling the screen. Happy was I when I found a System preference: Cascading windows! Now I could get Window behavior (overlapping windows) so that I can see what else is there. But nothing happens! This preference either means something else, or is out of order.
    I shall be grateful if anyone would enlighten me on this.

Kpete

Re: kubuntu netbook version cascading windows

Let me try to offer an answer to my own question: I have now experimented a lot with the Notebook plasma GUI, and it baffles me - it does defy logic. Through my experimenting I also came across the System preference option of selecting the Desktop GUI instead. I thought that the Notebook GUI was made to be lighter on the processor - my notebook is rather lightweight when it comes to processor power. But now I have tried it with the Desktop GUI and everything appears to behave well. So the problem is not solved but does not require a solution.

kpete

Comment

Re: kubuntu netbook version cascading windows

I think the issue may be that if you specifically pick the KDE netbook interface, applications are by default opened on a maximised basis (or at least that's my take on this).

If you like the layout of the KDE netbook interface, you might find a hybrid useful. Right click on desktop and unlock widgets. Then right click again and select desktop (or folder view) settings. In the resulting pane select view and in the drop down menu for layout select "search and launch". The result should be a desktop that looks like the netbook interface but which respects your window settings. Worth a go.

Comment

Working...
      X