This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

What the!? Can you get more uninformative than the dialog descriptions for the Amarok extra packages? "Bad".."Ugly" :P
    Attached Files
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I guess when you're a package manager, you get to be king -- of your package domain, at least

Bad: "a set of plug-ins that aren't up to par compared to the rest. They might be close to being good quality, but they're missing something - be it a good code review, some documentation, a set of tests, a real live maintainer, or some actual wide use."

Ugly: "a set of good-quality plug-ins that might pose distribution problems."

Curiously, "ugly" seems not so bad as "bad." I certainly wish the package descriptions would list which particular plugins were included, but that info apparently isn't as important.

Comment

Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

After repeatedly trying simply to get Amarok to reliably do really simply things like play a CD I just inserted into my optical drive, I just abandonned it. I fail to see its usefulness, at least for me. I find VLC to be remarkably versatile media player (all sorts of media), and k3b takes care of my burning needs (well, those that relate to optical media, anyway). I'm only willing to wrestle with something for a while, then I move on. Amarok's history for me, and has been for quite a while.

A minor comment, for what it's worth...

Comment

Working...
      X