X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [SOLVED]Wallpaper change does not stick

See http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...7304#msg247304

Hmmm...experienced something VERY similar: I'm quite new to Kubuntu, running 11.04 Natty, dual-boot with Windows 7. No major complaints, but for the fact that if I follow the procedures posted everywhere (including Kubuntu forums) for changing the desktop wallpaper, it reverts back to the bubbly standard desktop it came with.

Any ideas ?

Re: [AMAZING... NO ANSWER YET]Wallpaper change does not stick

I suspect that you are using the wrong directory.

The wallpaper image files are stored in:

~/.kde/share/wallpapers

You should be sure that the wallpapers you download are stored in that location. If they are not there then copy and paste them to that directory from where ever you put them.

There are a lot of pre-installed wallpaper images in subdirectories under
    /usr/share/wallpapers

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: Re: [AMAZING... NO ANSWER YET]Wallpaper change does not stick

Not true, you can use an image from anywhere in your system, and the KDE default set of wallpapers is NOT installed by default, but there is a button on the desktop settings to install them, as well as get new ones from kde-look.org

The fact that the settings are not sticking leads me to believe there is a permissions problem on the config file, or it may be corrupted slightly.
      ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc is the file that contains the wallpaper info

if you right click on this file, you can go to "permissions" to see what they are. The "dot"kde folder is a hidden one, so you may have to enable viewing those in Dolphin from the View menu (or hit the alt - period key combo)

under ownership, both sections should be your user name, and under "Access" it should read "Can read and write", if it is anything else, we can change it back, but it may require a quick and easy trip to a Konsole window.

Comment

That explains it for me. I was using an image stored on an HD originally formatted as NTFS on a windows PC and had this exact problem. Copying the image to my kubuntu home directory fixed the problem by (assuming) fixing the image's permissions.

Comment

Ahaaah...thank you all for the responses and advice. I was headstrong and tried claydoh's advice, to no avail... However, the old possess the wisdom in this world and GreyGeek's tip seems to work.

In the meantime, my opinion about linux in general and Kubuntu in particular is soaring ! All the software I need, and more at a click distance ! Fantastic ! There's some small issues I haven't found out yet...but one by one I manage to solve those...

Consider this one solved, though...

Comment

Working...
          X