X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox removal installs Gnome???

Hi!

I m new in KDE (coming from Gnome and -for a while- Unity GUI side...).

Could you pls explain the following strange issue I face when i try to uninstall Firefox? Removing firefox means installing all these Gnome related packages?

$ sudo apt-get remove firefox

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    epiphany-browser epiphany-browser-data epiphany-gecko evince evince-common gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-clutter-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0
    gir1.2-gstreamer-0.10 gir1.2-gtk-2.0 gir1.2-json-glib-1.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gnome-doc-utils gnome-icon-theme gnome-js-common gnome-user-guide gvfs gvfs-backends
    indicator-application launchpad-integration libappindicator1 libavahi-glib1 libavahi-gobject0 libcairo-gobject2 libcdio-cdda0 libcdio-paranoia0 libclutter-1.0-0
    libclutter-1.0-common libevdocument3 libevview3 libgail18 libgdu0 libgvfscommon0 libindicator3 libjson-glib-1.0-0 libkpathsea5 liblaunchpad-integration-common
    liblaunchpad-integration1 libnautilus-extension1 libpoppler-glib6 librsvg2-common libseed0 libt1-5 libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 libwebkitgtk-1.0-common policykit-1-gnome
    python-libxml2 xsltproc yelp yelp-xsl
    Suggested packages:
    epiphany-extensions unrar poppler-data nautilus libgnome2-0 konqueror ttf-dejavu
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    firefox firefox-globalmenu
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    epiphany-browser epiphany-browser-data epiphany-gecko evince evince-common gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-clutter-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0
    gir1.2-gstreamer-0.10 gir1.2-gtk-2.0 gir1.2-json-glib-1.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gnome-doc-utils gnome-icon-theme gnome-js-common gnome-user-guide gvfs gvfs-backends
    indicator-application launchpad-integration libappindicator1 libavahi-glib1 libavahi-gobject0 libcairo-gobject2 libcdio-cdda0 libcdio-paranoia0 libclutter-1.0-0
    libclutter-1.0-common libevdocument3 libevview3 libgail18 libgdu0 libgvfscommon0 libindicator3 libjson-glib-1.0-0 libkpathsea5 liblaunchpad-integration-common
    liblaunchpad-integration1 libnautilus-extension1 libpoppler-glib6 librsvg2-common libseed0 libt1-5 libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 libwebkitgtk-1.0-common policykit-1-gnome
    python-libxml2 xsltproc yelp yelp-xsl
    0 upgraded, 51 newly installed, 2 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/25.0 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 107 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Re: Firefox removal installs Gnome

You likely have a package installed that depends on firefox or epiphany-browser (maybe other browsers as alternatives as well).

And since you are removing firefox, the system tries to resolve the dependencies by installing another browser from the alternative browser depends (epiphany-browser is the gnome browser so it depends on a lot of gnome stuff, which explains the additional gnome packages the system wants to install)

If you want to find out which package is causing this, you could start by checking this shortlist of epiphany-browser reverse depends:
    gecko-mediaplayer
    postr
    gnumeric
    gnome-panel
    gnome-do-plugins
    gnome-core
    totem-mozilla
    icedtea-plugin

If you have any of those installed, you can either:
    A. remove the package first if you don't need it, or
    B. if you want to keep the package installed, you might install a kde browser (like rekonq or konqueror) to try to satisfy the dependency (you can always look at the depends of the package to see if it accepts other browsers than firefox or epiphany-browser as alternative dependencies).

Comment

Re: Firefox removal installs Gnome

Kubcile you are right. The cause was that another program needed firefox (I did not identify which) but starting bottom up, I installed konqueror and then firefox can be removed without any new installation. As far as I can see, 'that' program is not satisfied by reconq which is vanilla installed. Thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
      X