This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved]Blue hue to video playback

The main reason i moved to Ubuntu from Windows was because the video from my JVC HDD Cancorder (.MOD format) would not play on Windows without throwing up constant error messages and fortunately it played flawlessly on Ubuntu.

Now I've moved to Kubuntu i was rather hoping nothing would change but unfortunately when i play back the video files there is a blue hue to the video. I get this with both Dragon Player and VLC.

I've alos tried some video clips recorded via mobile and they also have a blue hue, so i can only assume that Kubuntu is somehoe introducing this.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Kubuntu 15.10

Re: Blue hue to video playback

http://www.wiredrevolution.com/ubunt...ideo-in-ubuntu

The common theme with this bug seems to be the use of the Nvidia closed source drivers.

Update 3/11/2011: The problem has been isolated to the interaction between the proprietary NVIDIA driver and the X video extension. The fix should now restore correct video color to all players.
    There are 3 fixes you can try. I have listed them from best to worst.

Fix 1: Install the recomended NVIDIA drivers

Change to the recommended drivers.

System -> Administration -> Additional Drivers

You should have 2 proprietary drivers available. Choose the recommended driver which should be your second option. Restart your system and you should be good to go!

Fix 2: Create a custom setting in gstreamer-properties

Make a change to gstreamer-properties.

Open gstreamer-properties from within a terminal.

$ gstreamer-properties

Now click on the Video tab. From the Plugin dropdown box select Custom. Finally add the following line to the Pipeline box.

videobalance hue=-1 ! autovideosink

Fix 3: Turn off Xv optimizations

This is basically your last resort. This will fix your issues for all video players but will result in higher CPU utilization.

Make a change to gstreamer-properties.

Open gstreamer-properties from within a terminal.

$ gstreamer-properties

Now click on the Video tab. From the Plugin dropdown box select X Window System (No Xv).
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I checked the Additional Drivers as per your step 1 and I was surprised to find that I didn't have the recommended driver installed, surprised because I always use that one.

So I installed it anyway and restarted my computer, the video appears to OK at present but I have noticed something odd. I checked the Additional Drivers again and it states that the recommended driver is activated but not currently in use!

Is this a bug or do I need to do something else?
      Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

No, it is not a bug.

I do not know how to switch from the NVidia driver Upstart selected to the one that is active but not selected. Perhaps someone who knows can step in here.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Apparently this isn't the first time see:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1433955

However since everything is actually working at present I don't think I'll go poking around too much
          Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

Apparently not.

And, /etc/X11/xorg.conf does not exist because Upstart doesn't create it. One can, however, create that file and add specific stanzas to it to activate or use a specific driver. That link you gave also gave the advice I would have given if I had more confidence in it:

I had the same problem. I removed all nvidia drivers with Synaptic. Then I installed again from command line - sudo apt-get install nvidia-current and ran sudo nvidia-xconfig and it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              Apparently not.

And, /etc/X11/xorg.conf does not exist because Upstart doesn't create it. One can, however, create that file and add specific stanzas to it to activate or use a specific driver. That link you gave also gave the advice I would have given if I had more confidence in it:

I had the same problem. I removed all nvidia drivers with Synaptic. Then I installed again from command line - sudo apt-get install nvidia-current and ran sudo nvidia-xconfig and it worked.
              The quoted advice worked for me where the advice from the wiredrevolution site did not. I had to reboot between the install command and the config command though.

(sigh) Another hour wasted "upgrading" Kubuntu when I'd much rather be out in the shed.

Comment

Originally posted by enginemusic
                (sigh) Another hour wasted "upgrading" Kubuntu when I'd much rather be out in the shed.
                Well, since you brought it up ... what's happening out in the shed?

Comment

Working...
                X