X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

potential convert - couple of questions

Hi,

I do not like either Gnome 3 or Unity, so I am evaluating KDE as a possible alternative.

However, I notice looking at the processes that mysql is running, apparently installed with the base system. What is this used for? Something called akonadiaserver seems to be using it.

I ask because I do a lot of DB development, and am constantly screwing with mysql. Does KDE store a bunch of data in there? This would be a deal breaker for me because I'm always moving around whole mysql instances, and I really don't want to work around a bunch of KDE stuff.

Another thing I am seeing is xorg using a huge amount of memory, which seems to be growing over time. I do not recall it using this much in gnome? Is this a KDE thing, or is there a memory leak in xorg for 11.04?

Thanks

Re: potential convert - couple of questions

Akonadi does some indexing for searching services.

I use mysql for some work with Ruby on Rails and Radiant and I needed to install
    Code:
    aptitude install mysql-server libmysql-ruby libmysqlclient-dev mysql-admin mongrel
    I am able to have several databases and admin interface to deal with them. I have never explored where databases are saved. When I need I use import and export. I fact I do not understand where Kde is involved.

My xorg process uses now 12 MB, it is not too much.
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Strange, it might be akonadia is using an embedded instance of mysql, or something.

Hmm, my xorg memory usage in KDE was well over 250 MB and growing. Under Gnome in Mint 10, it is staying steady at around 45 MB.

I am using the nvidia proprietary driver... Seems like there must be a memory leak some place...

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert
        Strange, it might be akonadia is using an embedded instance of mysql, or something.
        I don't think it is strange, Akonadi use some sort of database to save formation, so it uses part of MySql.
        Sorry my fault, Akonadi maintains an address book, Nepomuk is part of search services.
        Again xorg 14 MB
        Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

You probably need to adjust the desktop search settings for Nepomuk in the KDE System Settings. You can even turn Nepomuk off altogether if you want.

Comment

ummm but nepomuk makes Koffice/KOntact/you name it...ummm scream..... they run so well

so...no, if you do not want screaming fast office stuff then do not run nepomuk, in fact, if I were you I would completely forget the idea of nepomuk. nepomuk is a hidden secret of the Linux cognoscenti and only CERTAIN people are allowed into the sanctum sanctorum to REALLY know of that which nepomuk is capable.... one has heard of certain "things" that have happened over the last fifty years or so in the U.S..... that make information more transparent....and useful, and ....welll just easier to get at?

NO? THEN FORGET THIS POST....obliterate it from your mind.

does anybody else think nepomuk might be even REMOTELY related to an athabaskan word?

Of course the people who detest anything "U.S" would not like that, but athabaskan names are rather cool btw.

woodsmoke

Comment

Huh? What are you on about? Is there some kind of conspiracy theory involving nepomuk?

Comment

Sanctum what?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Akonadi is a PIM data storage service (contacts, notes, calendars, mail etc.)...although not all kde apps use it yet (kmail2, once released, will use akonadi for mail storage, for example).

Strigi is the file-indexing and search daemon.

More info can be found in wikipedia:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_(framework)
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akonadi
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strigi

Comment

Working...
                  X