Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the sound problem - as always! (resolved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the sound problem - as always! (resolved)

1) I cannot get the KMix mixer to start from the K menu. It does start from the system tray.

2) I get 3 Playback devices:
    a) RS880 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4200] Digital Stereo (HDNI)
    b) PCM2900 Audio Codec Analog Stereo
    c) Internal Audio Analog Stereo
    3) and one Capture Device - PCM2900 Audio Codec Analog Stereo (which is my USB connection
    to an old TD160C turntable)

Pressing all combinations of buttons I can think of produces no sound when I was hoping for Carlos Santana's cover of My Guitar Gently Weeps.

(still more stuff) I have found something in syslog which may be germane:
    May 2 10:02:29 CrestonCanuck pulseaudio[1595]: pid.c: Daemon already running.
    May 2 10:04:30 CrestonCanuck pulseaudio[1569]: alsa-sink.c: ALSA woke us up to write new data to the device, but there was actually nothing to write!
    May 2 10:04:30 CrestonCanuck pulseaudio[1569]: alsa-sink.c: Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver 'snd_usb_audio'. Please report this issue to the ALSA developers.
    May 2 10:04:30 CrestonCanuck pulseaudio[1569]: alsa-sink.c: We were woken up with POLLOUT set -- however a subsequent snd_pcm_avail() returned 0 or another value < min_avail.
    May 2 10:04:53 CrestonCanuck pulseaudio[1569]: protocol-native.c: protocol error, kicking client
    May 2 10:05:27 CrestonCanuck pulseaudio[1569]: protocol-native.c: protocol error, kicking client
    May 2 10:09:33 CrestonCanuck pulseaudio[1569]: protocol-native.c: protocol error, kicking client
    May 2 10:10:18 CrestonCanuck pulseaudio[1569]: protocol-native.c: protocol error, kicking client
    May 2 10:13:28 CrestonCanuck pulseaudio[1569]: protocol-native.c: protocol error, kicking client

Any help will still be greatly appreciated.
    dkr

After waiting a couple of weeks, I updated the system & presto - sound works!

dkr

Re: the sound problem - as always!

Pressing all combinations of buttons I can think of produces no sound
    What do you mean? Are you trying to change the beep that most computers make when you press too many keys? Could you elaborate your problem a little more?

Comment

I would consider any sound out of the audio system an improvement. However
      I really like to listen to music so I would like to start with playing a CD, then perhaps
      play some ripped CDs I have on disc. Even the beeps as I play GO on KGS. In short
      I am unable to get anything out of the sound system at all.

Oh did I mention that pulse is installed but I do not know if it is trying and
      failing or just not trying.

Thank you for your time.
      dkr

Comment

Okay. First let's check to make sure Gstreamer's the problem. Goto System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon. Click on your sound card in the device list and click Test. If no sound comes out and there's other devices in the list, click on each one and click Test. If you get sound out of one of them, click on it and click Prefer until it's at the top of the list. Restart the computer and see if Amarok or other applications will make sound.

If not, then let's switch from Gstreamer back to Xine. Xine used to be the phonon backend that Kubuntu used and using it will also let you use Amaroks equalizer (as Gstreamer isn't supported by it). Goto Kpackagekit and install "phonon-backend-xine" and "libxine1-all-plugins". Goto the Phonon settings again and switch to the Backend tab. If the only option is Gstreamer (or if for some reason there's nothing there at all) then close System Settings and open it up again. If nothing's there still, restart and look again. Click on Xine and then Prefer. Then try to produce sound. If nothing comes out, restart... again haha.

Good luck!!!

Comment

Thanks for the help but whereas System Settings > Multimedia is easy to find
          there is no such thing as "Phonon" in the GUI.

oops - wrong machine - I am awake now - I think

To no avail - I think I tried all combinations of selections and buttons - and still no
          sound

Thanks again.
          dkr

Comment

Working...
          X