Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would installing ubuntu-desktop break Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would installing ubuntu-desktop break Kubuntu?

I was curious about seeing how the "other side" lived, and I was wondering if installing the ubuntu-desktop package would wreak havoc with my Kubuntu install.

Re: Would installing ubuntu-desktop break Kubuntu?

You'd have all the Ubuntu applications, like Totem and stuff, and libraries, and believe me, Gnome has a whole lot of libraries it needs to bring along. Other than that, no. You can make a not of what was installed, so you can uninstall it later.

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it would try and overwrite kdm and force itself to be the default desktop or some nonsense like that. Maybe I'll just play around with a live CD instead.

Comment

I remember installing kubu dekstop in Ubuntu Maverick. It asked me whether I wanted to use gdm or kdm as the default display manager.

Comment

Correct. If you have a KDE DE already (Kubuntu), then if you install ubuntu-desktop, opt to keep kdm as the default display manager. Then, at the KDM Login screen, click on the Session button to choose to login to the Gnome DE. Best of both worlds. But as el_koraco said, installing ubuntu-desktop will bring in A LOT of Gnome packages and dependencies.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            But as el_koraco said, installing ubuntu-desktop will bring in A LOT of Gnome packages and dependencies.
            I realize that. I'm just intrigued by Gnome even though I've been a diehard KDE fan for years. There's really no specific feature I'm looking for. It's just new and shiny.

Comment

Working...
            X