This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<RESOLVED> Possible design problem with Muon

I'm delighted that Muon is now the default package manager (even if I had to uninstall KPackageKit to get it to shut up about updates!). However, I've just come up with what appears to be a program design deficit in Muon.

I was using Muon to install packages wine1.3, winetricks, and wine1.3-gecko. when about 2/3s of the way through it just hung. No apparent problem, except the progress bar stopped progressing, and my system monitor indicated that CPU activity had fallen off dramatically, and Muon was very quiet. After waiting a bit, I stopped Muon, fired up Synaptic, and tried the same thing.

This time, at about the same point, it again stopped, and an error message was displayed. Synaptic offers to show you a terminal output at that point, and there I saw something about a problem with at least one of two packages I'd installed earlier, while trying to get my Netbook's wireless to work: firmware-b43-installer and b43-cutter. Without giving it much attention - because I couldn't make sense of why these were involved in the install at all, I removed both, and retried the wine etc. install. It went to conclusion without error.

If I hadn't had access to that error output in Synaptic, I'd be as baffled about what to do as I'd been with Muon. Now, shouldn't Muon have the same feature? (OK, maybe it does, but it wasn't put in my face when I needed it, as Synaptic did).

I don't know what to do with this idea, and I have no time to chase it down, as I'm still trying restore my netbook from a catastrophe caused by a natty installer "reboot needed" message which appeared too early - and to which I responded, really messing things up. Must get back now to THAT cleanup effort. It's been a day and a half of steady work, now.

Re: Possible design problem with Muon

Is Muon installed by default? I have installed kubuntu-desktop on top of xubuntu and muon isn't there but kpackagekit it.

Comment

Yes, I've noticed the same lack of terminal output when Muon is running, which your case proves is deficient. File a bug, and i think we will all support you. Other than that, Muos is a thing of beauty.

bailout, Muon is not installed by default, but it is in the repos.

Comment

Same here, I got KPackageKit as default and had to add Muon myself.
        That's on computers with a fresh install, on this computer I did an update from 10.10 and all stayed as was.

I must say KPackageKit has seen some dramatic improvements, getting a good feedback in case of errors would be good in any program.

Comment

Thanks for the correction re: Kpackagekit. I had only an impression to work from and I was wrong. Wishful thinking?

Will see if I can file a bug. Last time I tried to it wasn't worth the hassle. I'm very time poor most days.

Comment

Working...
          X