X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with desktop effects!

Hey guys,

I just updated my kubuntu 10.10 to 11.04.
    I have a notebook (Core I3 4GiB RAM) and it is working quite fine! But on my desktop (Core 2 Duo, 4GiB RAM) the desktop effects are toooooo slow and they are always desactivated. (I had Kubuntu 10.10 in both of them and uptaded both of them using internet. Also tryied a clean installation on my desktop, but the problem persists!)
    Is there something wrong with the installation/ update or it is my desktop that doesn't support those effects?

Thank you all in advance!
    &quot;Our idols and demons will pursue us untill we learn to let them go.&quot;<br />~Madonna~

Re: Problems with desktop effects!

You need to tell us what graphics card you have in the desktop.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Can you please, tell me how can I find this out?
      &quot;Our idols and demons will pursue us untill we learn to let them go.&quot;<br />~Madonna~

Comment

By the way, the desktop effects used to work on the previous version! (10.10)

Comment

Originally posted by Gael
          Can you please, tell me how can I find this out?
          Code:
          lspci | grep VGA
          Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Hey! Thank you!
            Here is what it returned:
            VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

The funny thing is that the effects are deactivated when I try to open the "Kickoff", when I switch between the desktops, the effects works fine too!

Comment

Try System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advance.

Then, uncheck Direct Rendering and see what happens.

On 10.10 for me, Direct Rendering did stuff like what you described. 11.04 works fine for me though, and so did 10.04. Try it and see what happens

Comment

I just did what you said, and things got worse!

Now it shows a window warning about an error...

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

I'm assuming the error says something along the lines of "Couldn't activate desktop effects with given settings, check your X configuration." and none of the effects are working. Delete the file /home/insertusernamehere/.kde/share/config/kwinrc

Kwinrc is the desktop effects and window behaviour config file. Deleting it is COMPLETELY safe. What will happen is that the Desktop Effects and Window Behaviour settings will be reset to their defaults when you restart. Your effects should come back on like they were before also.

Comment

I am sorry, but I can't find this file!

Comment

http://ubuntuku.org/10/how-to-fix-in...untu-maverick/
                        ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

I am sorry, but I can't find this file!
                          Are you sure? I promise it's there! Otherwise none of your settings would stick at all

Comment

I have tried what ubuntuku said but it didn't work...
                            I couldn't find the file... there is no "/home/Gael/.kde/share/" folder.

Comment

I have tried what ubuntuku said but it didn't work...
                              I couldn't find the file... there is no "/home/Gael/.kde/share/" folder.
                              Okay I can GARUNTEE that there's a .kde/share folder. It's a folder that's been in every version of KDE4. Open your home folder, and hit "Alt+." It'll then show all the hidden folders in your home folder. Look for it like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X