X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install ubuntuone-client-kde?

How to install ubuntuone-client-kde?

I found a tutorial on this, but the tutorial uses a PPA that is no longer accessible.
    tutorial: http://maketecheasier.com/how-to-ins...ntu/2010/03/15
    developer blog: http://apachelog.wordpress.com/2010/...nical-aspects/

Any advice? Compile the source?

Re: How to install ubuntuone-client-kde?

The developer of that client abandoned it, due in no small part to Canonical's lack of help:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+bug/375145

Most of the developers that would've been interested are instead working on ownCloud, which is basically what it sounds like, and is a general KDE project rather than merely an Ubuntu one.

For Ubuntu One, you might be best off just running the GNOME client, or bugging Canonical to actually support one of the platforms they claim to support :P It IS pretty damn astonishing that they have a Windows client but no KDE one . . .

Comment

Wherever the fault lies it is poor that Kubuntu doesn't have ubuntuone available. I have swapped to dropbox which is easier for windows anyway.

I only saw a reference to owncloud the other day and from what I have read it isn't really an alternative to ubuntuone /dropbox. Am I right in thinking that the storage is on your own computer? If so I can't really see the point for most users.

Comment

Originally posted by bailout
        I only saw a reference to owncloud the other day and from what I have read it isn't really an alternative to ubuntuone /dropbox. Am I right in thinking that the storage is on your own computer? If so I can't really see the point for most users.
        From what I've read that's it's exactly what it is. It just turns one of your computers running Linux into a "cloud" so-to-speak.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithZG
          For Ubuntu One, you might be best off just running the GNOME client, or bugging Canonical to actually support one of the platforms they claim to support :P
          It's always been my understanding that the majority of Canonical's resources go into Ubuntu because it's their money-maker, and Kubuntu is more of a community project, and that if you want topnotch support then use Ubuntu.

Comment

I was one of the first on board with Ubuone but it just had problems "synching"....there were a LOT of complaints in the early forums/bugreportforms so I quit it. However, when i installed SuperOS there was UbuOne fully functional. However, the synching with windows was "supposedly' not great but it worked(s) fine as a "drop box" I can put a doc into it and open it at the school. So...dunno....

I talked about owncloud at another forum and was basically told to shut up about it, don't really know why... but if it "really some kind of cloud" and that i could access it from the school that would be way cool.

However, the absolute simplest and easiest way to skin the cat is Google Docs. I've even done a proof of concept for the college for the science dept inventory and was ignored, but it works, simple as that.

If one has philosophical things with Google then that is an aspect of the situation also.

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
            X