This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best distro yet imho

no problems no hangups, didnt even have to install anything for my audio or video.
    they really put some work into this version, everything seems smoother and more solid.
    i was even able to get my wireless working without having to plug an ethernet cable in.
    really really nice distro

Re: Best distro yet imho

Hi Erigais

I could not agree more.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

+1 This is also my experience on 5 very different systems including two HP laptops, an Acer netpc, and a couple of towers.

Comment

I started with Kubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10, KDE 3.5.x. I still vaguely remember Edgy. I liked it. Compared to the (much) later releases of Kubuntu that started using Plasma, Edgy was 'flat' in appearance. But, it worked very well.

My main Kubuntu is Natty Narwhal, and it is, hands down, the BEST Kubuntu I've used todate. True, I don't have the nice 'blur' effect - my Intel Integrated Graphics GPU won't handle it - but other than that, Natty simply ROCKS!!
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have to agree also. For Gnome, I use Mint which IMO can't be beat. But for KDE I've tried every distro I could get my hands on (including Mint 10 KDE), and Kubuntu puts them all to shame.
          Kubuntu 20.04
          HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Comment

I finally got around to updating my 2 other machines to Natty today. The 8 year old Compaq laptop running Lucid, and my Desktop media center PC running Maverick. Both upgraded without a hitch.

Admittedly, the laptop was mostly stock 10.04, used mostly for simple browsing these days.

But my desktop which is connected to a 32 inch cheap lcd TV, runs Boxee and XBMC, and uses the fglrx graphics. this one also went 100% without drama, even Boxee ran without re-installation or even updating to a Natty-friendly rebuilt package. My TV connected via HDMI even had its correct resolution detected without the use of any modifications or scripting. Granted, it wasn't selected by default, but was available as a choice which is far superior to having to determine modelines, etc. so I was verrreee happeeeee today.

It is also my opinion that Natty has been my best overall Kubuntu experience hands down. For me that goes all the way back to 5.04 Hoary Hedgehog. it hasd also been by best overall install/upgrade experience as well, with no hitches on 3 quite different systems.

Comment

Kubuntu Natty is the best KDE distro out there ATM. And when Muon lands as the default GUI PM in Oneiric, all hell's gonna break loose. PackageKit and its theoretical advantages notwithstanding, using apt directly just can't be topped.

Comment

On the desktops 11.04 has ran without a hitch, and I've enjoyed using it.

On the notebook and netbook, ran into wireless issues, mostly related to the broadcom chip inside. Reinstalled 10.10 and will wait a few more weeks before trying again.

Comment

I had nothing but trouble with my one upgrade (64-bit on an older iMac), although it's only KDE that's the issue; on the computer I'm typing on right now (an old but very-overpowered-at-the-time P4), a fresh install went absolutely flawlessly. On my main PC held off for awhile, but finally took the plunge a few days ago and had a single but showstopping error that I finally fixed, and other than that (which honestly, from an NVIDIA TwinView kind of setup, I expect) and how the weather wallpapers don't seem to work anymore it's been perfect.

Comment

Natty worked better for me then Maverick has through its entire life, and I tried Mint KDE, and it was horrid IMO. As Snowhog says, the 'blur' was nice, but not necessary, and once I get a computer upgrade, that blur is coming right on back, along with a freh installation of Natty 8)
                    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Works Pretty darn good. Alot slicker since 10.04. I installed Ubuntu 11.04 first but hated it, then installed Kubuntu 11.04 and I'm lovin it.
                      Kubuntu and Ubuntu 10.04

Comment

I've been using Kubuntu since it's early days so I can compare

I check for updates nearly every day and noticed 11.04 gets (a lot) less updates than any other release since KDE4.0 came around.
                        So I assume it needs less updates and agree, it's a great distro! 8)

Comment

Hi Erigais,
                          Please give us a description of your computer: make, model, display size, video chip, wifi chip, keyboard style, number of USB ports, HDMI?, bezel and desktop mechanical controls, battery size and life, etc...
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                            Hi Erigais,
                            Please give us a description of your computer: make, model, display size, video chip, wifi chip, keyboard style, number of USB ports, HDMI?, bezel and desktop mechanical controls, battery size and life, etc...
                            All working out of box.

Make: Sony Vaio E-series
                            Model: VPCEB1LFX/BI NoteBook Intel Core i5 520M(2.40GHz) 4GB Memory 320GB
                            HDD: Hitachi HTS545032B9SA00 5400rpm
                            Optical Drive: FUDFMS H2N4PYZK Dual layer DVD Burner
                            Display size: 15.5"
                            Video Chip: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
                            Network Chip(s): Atheros AR9285 Wire-less network adapter
                            Marvell Yukon 88E8059 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
                            Bluetooth: FOXCONN-T77H114-BCM2070
                            Keyboard: Fullsize standard
                            Ports: USB ports: 3
                            SATA ports: 1
                            SD Card port
                            HG Duo Port
                            Express Card port
                            HDMI?: Yes, 1
                            Battery: Lithium-ion
                            Capacity: 5000mAH
                            Estimated Battery Life: 2 hours
                            Output Voltage: 10.8 V
                            Approx Weight: 11.2 oz.
                            Dimensions (Approx.): 10.8"(W) x 0.9"(H) x 2.0"(D)
                            Color: Black

Bezel and Desktop Mechanical Controls:

Comment

Working...
                            X