• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unity on natty..anyone?

Hi,
    there is a good article on omgubuntu,
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/h...-ubuntu-unity/
    i was wondering if something similar is possible in kubuntu.

as opposed to loads of bashing on unity, i love unity.
    they have maximized the screen area. its awesome to see those close etc. buttons integrated into top panel. and it does not sacrifice the wifi, sound, clock etc. functionality and it is always displyed in the top panel.
    (though we can keep panel autohide in kubuntu, we will not be able to see the clock, wifi notifications)

and if you have installed unity on kubuntu, please share your experience.. is it a good idea or not..

thanks
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Re: unity on natty..anyone?

no one?
    asus A52N

Comment

You should try it out yourself and share your experience here.
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install unity-2d
      ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuku
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install unity-2d
        Resulting in:
        0 upgraded, 245 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
        Thank you, but no thank you.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I like what I've seen of Unity, but I don't plan to upgrade my 10.04 LTS installation until the next LTS is released. (The older I get the less putzing around I want to do! )

I had fully planned to work on some of my own software after I retired 3 years ago, but since then I never got the gumption to start on it. I did volunteer to write the "Development Tools" section of Natty's Help documentation, but I just didn't have the zeal I used to have about such stuff. About a month ago I decided I was kidding myself if I thought I was going to resume programming again, so I cleaned 30GB of programming tools and utilities off of this box. Sometime in the future I will probably slide down to Unity, which will be my last stop before I stop using Linux/computers altogether.

At 70 you begin to see lights at the end of some tunnels and darkness at the end of others.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

245 new installs.. ok i am scared.. i dont want to break the posh kde.. changed my mind thank you
            At 70 you begin to see lights at the end of some tunnels and darkness at the end of others.
            words of wisdom.. (i am not being sarcastic, i mean it)
            asus A52N

Comment

Originally posted by vu2ikl
              245 new installs.. ok i am scared.. i dont want to break the posh kde.. changed my mind thank you
              It isn't that you'd break anything; note that there are no packages to be upgraded or removed. The 245 package are all new. I just don't want to bring in such a massive number of packages just to try out unity-2d. Nothing more than that.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

While it may not upgrade or remove any apps, I have no doubts that installing it will add a significant number of configuration files, and change many others.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Yeppers, did the deed, and all comments to the contrary....

Although it is not very "tweakable"....I don't think that is the point(as indicated in my other post).

It does "work" by the way.

woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

After you play with it for a while, report back and tell us what your experiences are!

Comment

your request is my command!

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I've had natty-unity installed since the early testing cycle. Of course its on its own partition. That way I keep Kubuntu separate, on its own partition, and Mint, and Windows, etc.

I had a few issues during the testing, but as of now, no issues whatsoever. It works as intended. Having Lucid on a separate partition and booting between the two is a different experience. There's things a like on both OS's.

Regarding the negative comments. Some people complain about anything - the weather, their mother-in-law, etc.
                        When you hear constant negative comments, one tends to disregard some good counter points. You wade through sheaves of negativity in order to read one or two decent complaints.

Also, my hardware is in alignment for Unity.
                        Boot Info Script

Comment

ok... i just tried that.
                          installed unity 2d.
                          it was ugly desktop. no where close to the unity in ubuntu or the plasma desktop.
                          though, nothing "breaks" as such.. things work. no problem.
                          except one thing.. the network manager did not work by default.

i want a good looking free desktop, and it wasnt something i was looking for. so want to get back to plasma.
                          i used sudo apt-get remove unity-2d
                          and then the normal gnome panel welcomed me..

so here is the question now: how do i get back to plasma desktop?
                          asus A52N

Comment

On the login screen is a drop down combo box from which you can choose the desktop environment you want. Select KDE and then log in.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                              (The older I get the less putzing around I want to do! )
                              I'm close to your time in life and I say you haven't putzed until you've gone Slackware or LFS.
                              To heck with the programming build some Linux boxes...... for others.

Comment

Working...
                              X