X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Silverlight and Moonlight....

Originally posted by el_koraco
    None of that matters. Denying parents to use any other OS than Windows to have acess to their children's grades is questionable, but passable. Denying them any other kind of access to the notes other than one kind, which is bound to a proprietary system one has to pay good money for is in contrast with a host of EU citizen's rights. This is the kind of thing that can easily go to the ECHR, or even ECJ if the EC gets furious enough.
    I think your reply is completely along the lines I was thinking, el_koraco. Monopolies are fine, but denying parents any other way to get access to grades is a good and valid point to question.

Comment

BTW--Silverlight is available for mac
      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............

Comment

The good news is that Silverlight seems to have started dying a slow death as MS catches up to the rest of the world on open standards...

http://www.infoworld.com/t/mobile-de...ilverlight-687
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire
            The good news is that Silverlight seems to have started dying a slow death as MS catches up to the rest of the world on open standards...

http://www.infoworld.com/t/mobile-de...ilverlight-687
            It's all so familiar. In 1997 I was hired by my last client (and future employer) to write some FoxPro code to test the output of the dozen or so commercial apps that did tax returns for Joe and Sally sixpack. Sort of like "unit testing" in that my software would feed their apps with specific income scenarios and then analyze the output for correctness.

To get support for FoxPro I joined the "UniversalThread" forum, which was a paid ($75/yr) watering hole where the 250,000 registered world wide FoxPro programmers hung out and supported each other, and were occasionally visited by MS employee coders. (It also was where users of several other tools hung out as well) Pretty soon we had our own MS VIP people, who were also developers gung ho on FoxPro. We were using Visual FoxPro 6.0, around 2002, the latest release at the time. MS got on the forum and announced that 6.0 would be the last and recommended that folks move to .NET. The MS VIPs started pushing .NET and announced classes on UniversalThread. One of the independent MS VIP developers, Kevin McNeish, wrote ".NET for VFP Developers", in 2002.

The uproar was instant and huge. Just like the uproar over the apparent abandonment of .NET. With VFP I could see the handwriting on the wall and began casting around for another dev tool, which eventually led me to Qt in 2004. So many VFP coders abandon that platform during that time that MS relented and release versions 7, 8 an 9. Version 9 was released in 2007, and since then there have been only 3 hotfixes. Their support for VFP 9 is virtually non-existent. That is the future of .NET. Microsoft will string the .NET developer along just like they strung the VFP developers along, in the hopes that they'll move to SilverLight or to Microsoft's version of HTML5.

Have no doubts about it. .NET is dead. IF it weren't then Attachmate would have retained Michael de Icaza and his 100 coders when they took control of Novell's assets. As it is, Icaza beame self-employed again, this time focusing on .NET applications for Apple and Windows. IF Microsoft isn't supporting .NET on Windows any more that is all the more reason to make sure that Mono is not part of your installation.

Mono is as dead as .NET.

Unfortunately, Nokia owns Qt and Microsoft, via Stephen Elop (former MS executive and largest non-corporate holder of MS stock), has influence on its development. I think that explains why Nokia
            1) sold commercial Qt clients to another firm in Sweden,
            2) laid off their Symbian and MeeGo coders and the majority of the Qt development staff, and
            3) burned down their 44% market share in smartphone OSs and have repositioned themselves as just another hardware manufacturer of smartphones, but one hooking their falling star to Win Phone 7, which has already lost more than 50% of its peak market share and now resides at less than 2%.

Nokia AND Microsoft (if it has a controlling influence) have to abide by these terms:
            [img width=225 height=400]http://www.kde.org/community/whatiskde/images/nokia-agreement-2.jpg[/img]
            and especially the calendar terms and licenses mentioned here:
            [img width=225 height=400]http://www.kde.org/community/whatiskde/images/nokia-agreement-3.jpg[/img]
            [img width=225 height=400]http://www.kde.org/community/whatiskde/images/nokia-agreement-4.jpg[/img]

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, I just had a nice run in with a page that required Silverlight. Of course, Moonlight wouldn't work on it. I didn't fret though. I just booted up my XP VM and installed silverlight on it. Went to the page and did what I had to do, then shut down the VM. I never do keep my XP VM running for very long unless I have videos I need to encode to a proper wmv file for my walkman.

Still, I hate having to have to run XP for anything. Thankfully, my XP doesn't update, boots fast, and doesn't give me any problems. It still stinks to have to run it though. >

Comment

Working...
              X